Taking ages to load - Nothing really works until then

I did a reinstall of my OS a few days ago now. Installed all my programs and spent a bit of time training Comodo Firewall. Everything ran fine (the firewall loaded before I stated to do anything so all was good).

The other day I used the error checking tool on my C/Local Drive. Literally the first boot after I did it, Comodo Firewall would take at least 5 minutes to load. As a result I would not be able to use Control Panel, Load any websites in Chrome or use Steams Store/Community page. I am pretty much stuck waiting for it to load before I can use my computer.

However for some reason Skype seems to work fine and If Steam or Chrome is downloading anything those run just fine regardless of whether Comodo Firewall has loaded or not.

Even after closing it, everything still runs really bad so I’m forced to open it up and wait for it to load. I’ve tried the repair option but for some reason it won’t let me. I really do not want to have to uninstall the program, reinstall and then retrain it.

So what can I do?

Doing the disk error checking may have corrupted some of my settings. I decided to export my settings, uninstall and then reinstall the program.

Program worked fine after the reinstall, although the boot after I import my settings back in and all of a sudden the problem has returned. Are there certain settings which can slow the initialisation of the firewall?

What I would usually do is close and open the program multiple times, I never actually let it sit for too long to see what happens. I decided to do that today.

What happened was in the system tray the shield went from a red shield with no traffic arrows (green or red) to the yellow shield with the explanation point. After opening the program it suggests to run diagnostics, in which doing so finds no errors. A restart of the firewall causes it to initialise right away.

So this has happened to no-one before ever?

I don’t know if this helps but about a minute into the (attempted) initialisation of the firewall windows reports that no firewall is on and I should turn on one (Either windows firewall or Comodo).

I guess this will forever go unsolved.

In my opinion, your CIS installation or configuration seems corrupted. If I were you, I’d uninstall CIS using this tool Comodo Forum and do a clean install without importing the old config.

Sometimes Comodo gets stuck in Initializing mode for me too. When it does, one of my external hard drives makes a strange sound. Normally after 1 or 2 minutes it starts working correctly. I don’t know what causes it, but it has been playing up the last few weeks.

It sounds like your old configuration is corrupted. Best is not to use it anymore and start clean.