Tablet virtual keyboard (tabtip.exe) error on every reboot [M1366]

A. TABLET ENABLED PC VIRTUAL KEYBOARD (tabtip.exe) BUG/ISSUE
Can U reproduce the problem & if so how reliably?:
Reliably; upon every system restart/reboot.

If U can, exact steps to reproduce. If not, exactly what U did & what happened:
1: Installed CIS 8.0.0.4337 Beta
2: At system startup received Error Message (screen capture attached)
3: Subsequent to CIS 8.0.0.4337 Beta install Microsoft Virtual Keyboard (tabtip.exe) does not function

One or two sentences explaining what actually happened:
Clean installed CIS 8.0.0.4337. System reboot. System returned Error Message: “A fail fast exception occurred. Exception handlers will not be involved and the process will be terminated immediately.” Subsequent reboots return same Error Message.

One or two sentences explaining what you expected to happen:
System restart/reboot with no issues; Microsoft Virtual Keyboard will function.

If a software compatibility problem have you tried the advice to make programs work with CIS?:
Not Applicable.

Any software except CIS/OS involved? If so - name, & exact version:
Windows 8.1 Virtual Keyboard (tabtip.exe). The tabtip.exe process is a part of the Tablet PC Input Panel, also called Virtual Keyboard.

Any other information, eg your guess at the cause, how U tried to fix it etc:
None at this time.

B. YOUR SETUP
Exact CIS version & configuration:
8.0.0.4337 Beta - Default configuration

Modules enabled & level. D+/HIPS, Autosandbox/BBlocker, Firewall, & AV:
All

Have U made any other changes to the default config? (egs here.):
AntiVirus set “On Access”

Have U updated (without uninstall) from CIS 7?:
No; Clean installation

[b]if so, have U tried a a a clean reinstall - if not please do?[/b]:
 Yes

Have U imported a config from a previous version of CIS:
No

[b]if so, have U tried a standard config - if not please do[/b]:
 Yes; default configuration

OS version, SP, 32/64 bit, UAC setting, account type, V.Machine used:
Windows 8.1 x64, Administrator

Other security/s’box software a) currently installed b) installed since OS, including initial trial security software included with system:
a= HitmanPro.Alert b= HitmanPro.Alert and Windows Defender (disabled)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Many thanks for your bug report in standard format

Transferring for format verified

The following additional information might be of value to the devs:

1. Your D+ logs
  2. Your full Killswitch process list take at the point the problem occurs
  3. Please try disabling Hitman completely and see if the problem still occurs. Preferably uninstall it if you don’t mind.

Best wishes

Mouse

Hello mouse1,

How specifically do I save the KillSwitch Active Process list?
(I know how to save a process dump, but I think you’re asking for something else).

or

please point me to the instructions here on the forum.

Thanks,

hjlbx

Hi hjlbx

With error showing, open Killswitch, wait 5 mins (with error still showing), and go to the file menu and choose ‘save current view’.

Kind regards

Mike

Thanks.

Within next few days.

HitmanPro.Alert uninstalled - no change - Microsoft Virtual Keyboard still non-functional.

QA cannot replicate and so have requested a video.

I think their rules say either replicate, or (if appropriate - for crashes/hangs) get a dump, or a video. If they cannot get any of those they unfortunately will not forward to the devs.

If you could post an active process list or Killswitch screenshot, we could maybe work out how to replicate. On reflection I think a screenshot is best as it will show the process hierarchy. Please wait until all processes are analyzed to take it, and ensure all processes and default columns are displayed.

A video will also help the issue get processed, though I am not sure what it will show in this case, I guess they think you may doing something you don’t mention in the report.

Best wishes

Mike

Removed HitmanPro.Alert. This did not fix the problem.

Uninstalled CIS 8. MS Virtual Keyboard began functioning immediately.

So it’s definitely a CIS 8 issue.

Please be patient…

I am going to reinstall CIS 8 within the next few days…and there will be a bunch of bugs occurring upon reinstall.

I want to go about it in a proficient and methodical manner, otherwise I will not get the information that is needed by the developers. And it is going to take time to get it all done correctly.

As I already have multiple Bug Reports, I need to plan ahead to capture details when they occur.

What suggestions do you have?

Do the developers need pre-CIS 8-install process list?

Does anyone know how to configure BlueBerry to record screen shot automatically at system startup? (Task Scheduler?)

Also, will placing BlueBlerry exe into the “Allow to run in the sandbox” enable screen recordings inside the sandbox?

If I don’t configure BlueBerry correctly then I most likely will not be able to capture some of the most critical CIS 8 behaviors that QA is asking for…

Thanks

I can schedule BB FlashRecorder to start recording before CIS 8 starts, I just need to know which CIS exe starts the earliest during boot up.

Is it cis.exe ??

Hi hjlbx

Many thanks for looking into this

Various bits start at various stages. Cmdagent (a service) starts before CIS tray, which starts before CIS.

I think I woiuld record the installation sequence if you have time. They may wonder what settings you used. (For example some bugs have been Geekbuddy specific)

If you don’t have time I’ll will forward it anyway, don’t worry.

Hope that helps

Mike

I’ve moved this one to “Incomplete Issue Reports” section.

Thanks.

PM sent.

Hello mouse1,

It’s going to require some time before I can get to this one…I haven’t forgotten about it.

Perhaps a week or two.

Once it’s complete I will send you a PM.

Thanks,

hjlbx

Thanks very much hjlbx.

Qmarius is dealing with this Board now unless my input is needed. So please, if you would be so kind, PM him.

Best wishes

Mike

Hello mouse1,

I will…

Thanks,

hjlbx

Hello qmarius,

I do not know when I will get to finish this bug report. It’s not that I do not want to, but installing CIS on my system causes many problems. Consequently, with only one system, I spend 99% of my time dealing with CIS problems and Bug Reports.

I am not saying I will not get this one completed. However, at this point in time I have to put the Bug Reports aside as I currently have higher priorities that require an unfettered system.

Once I have finished them, then I will return to my current Bug Reports…

Thanks,

hjlbx

Hello,

I reinstalled CIS 8 on 12/23.

Despite my best efforts I have been unable to duplicate the Windows Error Message that tabtip.exe has stopped working. Therefore, I cannot produce a screen recording.

However, the tabtip.exe crash is present in W8.1 Reliability Manager and I have crash dumps for every day since I installed CIS 8.

The tabtip.exe.dmps are attached in a .zip file.

Thanks,

hjlbx

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hello,

Install CIS 8.0.0.4344 and it causes taptip.exe to stop running immediately.

The tabtip.exe crash is recorded by Windows Reliability Monitor (and even detected by GeekBuddy).

The issue does not involve use of the Windows virtual keyboard and then it crashes; when install CIS 8 tabtip.exe crashes, upon every system boot it attempts to start but then crashes - while CIS 8 is installed.

Uninstall CIS 8 and taptip.exe starts running immediately.

Thanks,

hjlbx

This issue has been fixed in version 8.2.0.4508.

Thanks,

HJLBX