System32 Boot Problem..

The problem is i played with system32 folder. first i have an admin account in my pc then I created a new user on my PC with name Test and make that user as a owner to system32 folder then logged out and logged into admin account and deleted the test user now system32 folder has no owner and i am unable to open the folder from admin account too. I thought it would come to normal if i restart the pc then i restarted so system32 has no owner and it is not booting. Only showing “launch stsrt up repair” but no use. Try to take the ownership from repair comand promp but “Access Denied”. Any quick advices will be appreciated…

Hi,

unfortunately you didn’t write what Windows Version…
on the fly I found this:

CACLS is deprecated, you can achieve what you want with the recommended ICACLS. You want something like:

icacls.exe d:\test /grant domain\username:F
To make an addition to permissions and:

icacls.exe d:\test /setowner domain\username
To set ownership. Other options of interest from icacls /?:

/T indicates that this operation is performed on all matching
files/directories below the directories specified in the name.

/C indicates that this operation will continue on all file errors.
Error messages will still be displayed.

hope that helps you…

Thanks

LordRayden

EDIT:

For Vista and 7 take a look at this: TechsTrick: Take Ownership & Grant Full Control Permission in Windows 7/Vista

Hi Lord,

Thanks for your help…

I am using Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit.

For Vista and 7 take a look at this: TechsTrick: Take Ownership & Grant Full Control Permission in Windows 7/Vista

I already tried the above post this morning by using windows DVD recovery mode but it is giving “Acciess Denied” and “0 succes” and “1 failed”.

I tried to access the folder through Start up repair “send the information” or “dont send” pop-up and information text file on the details of the pop-up. I am unable to open the folder…

Thanks

Venkat

Ok,

then you could try this:

(Didn’t try this one, so be careful)

With that you have Windows access to the drive so theoretically it should be possible to change ownership of a folder…

Thanks

LordRayden

Hi Lard,

I will try that windows Live CD.

Thanks for your help…

Thanks

Venkat

Hmpf, “Lard”? I’m not greasy… :slight_smile: :smiley:

Just out of curiosity, why in the blue hell would you change the owner of the “system32” folder?
Are you sure that is everything you did?
Even if you change the “user” the system still has access to the folder an should boot except you also deleted “System” and “TrustedInstaller” from the list…
If you did that I don’t think you are going to be able to repair that, even reinstalling could fail because the system is locked out. Worst case scenario is you have to do a clean install in an other folder (if you want to keep the data, otherwise kill the partition and start over)…

Thanks

LordRayden

:smiley: treat me as a learning kid. I did that as a lab practice but i did it in my own laptop that 1st horrible thing.

The hole thing i did is created new user and made him owner of system32 and deleted that user and restarted that it.

After that my pc stucked in the hell and i am with it. :smiley:

Oh, okay.
Hey I did that to. Back in the day as i started with my first PC I thought “DOS” is such an ugly name, I should change that, so I renamed “DOS” to “Samantha”, let me put it like this, didn’t go well…
Or as I started with Linux I changed the permissions for the /var folder to 777 which means full access for everybody and everything, Linux doesn’t like that one bit. But hey, I never did that again and I bet you wont do that again either…

What comes to my mind, do you have an OEM or an Retail Version of Windows 7?
If you have the Retail version then Windows 7 also installs a rescue system, you can access it by pressing “F8” after the BIOS initialization, meaning you see you processor your ram then the page turns where you see a table with Information and under it you see a lot of “single Line” information (USB controller, and so on). When you see that you have to start pressing “F8”, hit it a few times(if the PC starts “Beeping” after you hit “F8” a few times, don’t worry, it just means that the buffer is full and you can stop hitting “F8” because the PC cant progress the input anymore), if it worked you see a menu where you can choose “Safe Boot”, “Safe Boot with Network” and so an but number one in the list should be the rescue system, maybe it can repair windows on it’s own or at least it should give you the option to Install Windows 7 “in place” meaning everything on the Hardisk stays untouched except for windows, that gets reinstalled. Unfortunately Microsoft didn’t make it very smart so you have to reinstall all of your Programs. If the “in place” install fails (could happen because even the Install Program respects the ownership of an folder) it will install itself into the “Windows.0” folder. You should try this as “last try”, if the Live CD doesn’t work because there is no going back on the “in place” install…

Thanks

LordRayden

EDIT:
Retail Version means you have a big Box with a handbook and the DVD in it.
OEM Version means you just have a DVD case with the Logo and the DVD in it.
Unfortunately there is also a third option since you said it is your Laptop, the worst case scenario is you have a “Recovery DVD” meaning you just have a DVD in the colors of the Laptop Manufacturer and with a small Windows 7 Logo on it. Worst case scenario because that DVD doesn’t install Windows it just copies the files on the Harddrive…

Hi Lord,

Good morning…

I tried all those as a first solution but nothing worked. I learned one thing about all those F8 or repairs is that they affect settings but they dont touch folders and its properties.

But anyway i got out of the problem and i regained my pc…

The hole thing i did is installed a fresh copy in another drive (ex: D: drive) and accessed the c: drive but i am still unable to take the ownership on old system32.

So i googled and found below post which makes my work easy. I downloaded that registry zip and i beated that system32 to deatch. Now it is under my foot. :wink:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Thanks for your helping…

If possible be in touch. May be i will need your help again on another lab practice… :smiley:

GTalk / Skype: venkat.yochanait@gmail.com

Thanks
Venkat