System Status Shield wrong - says "You haven't performed a full scan yet!"

TOPIC TITLE
System Status Shield wrong - says “You haven’t performed a full scan yet!”

The bug/issue

1. What you did: Opened cfp window
  2. What actually happened or you actually saw: System Status Shield is yellow and message says “You haven’t performed a full scan yet!”
  3. What you expected to happen or see: System Status Shield should say everything is OK. It did say OK after I did a full scan after a fresh install of CIS 5.3 in January.
  4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: Rebooted PC. Still wrong shield and message shown. (I have looked at our other PC and this also shows the same wrong yellow System Status Shield and message)
  5. If it’s an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes here?: N/A
  6. Details & exact version of any application (except CIS) involved with download link: N/A
  7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so precise steps to make it happen: N/A
  8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): I only opened the cfp window because the tray icon had a yellow shield on it. When I opened the cfp window I was asked to run the diagnostics - it said everthing was OK, but the yelow System Status Shield message said “You haven’t performed a full scan yet!”.

Files appended

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug: N/A
  2. Screenshots of related CIS event logs or the Defense+ Active Processes List: N/A
  3. A CIS config. report or file: N/A
  4. Crash or freeze dump file: N/A

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: 5.3.176757.1236, 7707, Internet Security
  2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4: No
    b) if so, have you tried reinstalling (if not please do)?: No
  3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS: No
    b) if so, have U tried a preset config (if not please do)?: N/A
  4. Ave you made any other major changes to the default config (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.): No
  5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security level: D+=Safe, Sandbox=Enabled, Firewall=Safe, AV=Stateful
  6. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type: Windows XP Pro, SP3, 32 bit, None in XP, Admin account.
  7. Other security and utility software installed: None
  8. Virtual machine used: N/A

This shields resets to this value if 31 days have passed without AV scan…
Is last scan 31 days or more ago? then this is “by design”.

Thanks for your speedy reply. However, I do not understand the need for the shield to reset.

Because the green OK shield is not showing, it implies that there is a problem with CIS not functioning correctly - and I do not think that this is the case.

If the PC was scanned on CIS installation, why should it need scanning again? Won’t Defense+ notify of any malware attacks?

Well in general I can follow why they build this as it’s advisable to run a full scan once a week.

So not running a scan for 4 weeks is a signal to the user that it’s time to scan or that the scheduled scan’s have failed to run (e.g. computer shutdown during schedule etc).

@Ronny, why didn’t you move this to the moderator verified bug reports section?

If you pressed allow on a Defence+ prompt by accident, you turned off defence+ or the Trusted Vendor list had a malware vendor that had been whitelisted, then you might need to scan again.
If you are on an already infected machine, then you might need to scan again if there was no signature for a piece of malware before then a signature had been created.

Because dev’s don’t see this as a bug but as a feature, that’s why I posted that.
I ran in to the same issue :wink:

The message “You haven’t performed a full scan yet!” is incorrect, as a scan had been done - so it must be a bug (rather than a feature).

The green OK shield should be shown, as CIS is fully working. Maybe a message could be displayed underneath saying when the last full scan was done and advising the user to do another full scan.

The problem as I see it is when this happens, a full system scan is required to restore the Ok status. Doing a complete scan on your C: drive is not enough.
The system should report a scan “should” be carried out, but still show the Ok status and not force a complete system scan on the user.
My opinion only, btw.

I agree. The point of CIS is to keep a clean pc clean, right? So why does it advise to perform a full system scan each month?

Even in that case real-time scanning will take care of infection.