System freezes when a driver is installed

My company is providing smart card readers, and we have received multiple reports from our customers who say that Windows freezes while they are attempting to install the device driver.

While troubleshooting the issue, we have empirically determined that this happens when Comodo Internet Security is installed on the system. If Comodo is uninstalled, the driver is installed without a hitch.

This happens consistently on Windows XP SP3, with Comodo (free) “Internet Security Premium” 5.4.189822.1355, but we’ve had similar reports from other people with different versions of Comodo.

I hope that there is a way to overcome this, without recommending our customers to uninstall the Comodo software. I hope you can provide some assistance in this matter.

You can download the driver from sim-reader.com/download, there are 2 flavours there:

• a EXE installer
  • a ZIP with INF an SYS files in it

This happens with either approach.

2. What actually happened or you actually saw: The system freezes when ‘usb38.dll’ is being copied
3. What you expected to happen or see: Driver installed successfully :wink:
4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: Installation is successful if I uninstall Comodo, set up the driver, then install Comodo back
8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): Perhaps there’s a kernel mode filter that is a part of CIS, it analyzes every attempt to install a driver and refines the behaviour of the system. Our driver is not WHQL certified (although it is digitally signed), maybe CIS doesn’t like that.

Alex