svchosts.exe asked to be server.. here's what happened...

Hi again all,

Few days ago, after rebooting for the first time, I got a popup telling me that svchosts wanted to act as a server. Not being sure if this would be a good idea, I denied it the first time.

Denying it was a bad call since I couldn’t access my internet anymore (after testing with Vista if my connection was still good – I have dual boot WinXP pro and Vista Ultimate)

So I came back to WinXP and removed the svchosts.exe from the apps thinking it would re-ask me about svchosts.exe but surprise, after many reboots, I never got the popup again!?

am I missing something here? Shouldn’t it be able to act as a server to be able to connect me? If so, how does it do that if I didnt’ give it permission after removing the app from the list?

btw, not complaining here, just trying to understand how Comodo works. I can’t wait to have piece of mind with it (after I understand it better). I really love the product and I plan on spending a lot of time learning aobut it… so expect to see me often here with questions lol (:SHY)
Regards,

Rej

Have you tried just manually adding svchost.exe to the allow list?

Hi, I’ve heard something about the latest Windows updates changing signatures - causing already granted applications to be caught by Comodo as they try to connect to the internet.

As for your problem, did you tick the “remember” box? Some rules actually end up in a place where you can’t find them in the Firewall interface. You can find them in you registry, here’s the path:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall\AppCtrl\IPC

I’ve no idea why some things are put here, thus not visible in the application monitor. Anyway, you could check it, to see if that clarifies anything!

/LA

EDIT: by the way, it’s not possible to edit the registry keys without shutting down Comodo Firewall Pro first. If you decide to do this, be aware of what you’re doing or seek advice here first. We’ll be glad to help you. :slight_smile: