svchost.exe is trying to act as a server

The ‘do not show’ was enabled, I disabled it (by unchecking it). I really should have said “I disabled the option” instead of “I unchecked the option”.

Anywho, I will try the uninstall (I’ll do it in safe mode) and will disable some processes they have running in the background (I think it is Ding(Southwest), F-Prot(AV) and Disk Doctor(Crapcast bloatware)).

Can I use the /clean parameter for the uninstall and is there any registry settings that may be hidden somewhere after the uninstall?

I have about 2 hours after work to get it done. So much easier without people looking over your shoulders :0)

Stay tuned!

While you can do the uninstall in Safe Mode, normally this isn’t necessary (which saves a little time on the boot process).

I have typically found that simply turning off the applications are sufficient, rather than disabling the services/drivers; a temporary removal from the startup at most. Normally, simply a right-click on the systray icon, and selecting the option to turn off/disable any active feature works. Better safe than sorry, tho… :wink:

There may or may not be some legacy keys left in the registry. I normally run a quick registry cleaner (like ccleaner, regseeker, etc) and find that sufficient. You can certainly do a manual scrub with regedit if you like.

Oh, yes, it does go so much more smoothly if nobody’s peeking over your shoulder… ;D

LM

Forget it - I officially give up and uninstalled it for good. Thanks for the suggestions, alas they all failed.

There’s something strange going on, if you’re still having trouble with svchost.exe not communicating with the firewall…

If you

1. uninstalled, rebooted;
  2. cleaned the registry, rebooted;
  3. turned off AV and other security software,
  4. then reinstalled fresh on Automatic (as opposed to Advanced),
  5. ran the Known Apps Wizard,
  6. skipped loopback connections,
  7. used the Comodo safelist,
  8. and kept the alert frequency on Low,
    you absolutely should not see that occur on a clean system. In fact, you shouldn’t see any messages about svchost.exe at all.

I’m sorry you feel that you have to abandon the project, but I understand if you don’t wish to expend any more time/energy on it. If, however, you decide you can continue the battle in order to win the war, we’re here in the trenches with you. Also, a ticket to Support may be in order…

LM

Not sure about #7, the others were definitely done. Even redownloaded(wd?) the setup file. It would be nice to have an override for my problem. I was hoping a right click on it would give me the option to give it the A-OK 4-ever. Nope ;-(

I may try an old stand alone version of ZA (can I use the ZA word here :wink: ) to see if that says anything funky about it. And the reason I say old verion of ZA is that the newer releases can cut down your broadband speed by 50%. I know, because it will do it on my machine!

Update - found an older thread that at least mentions (svchost.exe:0.0.0.0:ms-rpc(135))

Maybe next time my neighbors go on vacation :stuck_out_tongue:

The only other suggestion I can think of is scanning for malware, but it’s assumed it’s already been done.

ozzyozzie, sorry none of the suggestions worked. You’re always welcomed to return (:AGL). Perhaps the next big version 3 will solve it. Who knows the future…