Stuck on Welcome Screen and Control Panel Freezing in Vista

CIS is causing two problems.

The first is vista gets stuck on the Welcome screen and just sits there until I hit cntrl + alt + del then it will continue booting

Second when ever I try to open windows control panel it freezes and when I try to close it I get a messgae saying “windows explorer has stopped working” then it gives me three options and not matter which one I hit explorer restarts. If I try to open cp again the same thing happens.

When I uninstall CIS both problems go away.

Please help, thanks.

Do you have anyother security software’s installed other than CIS ?

no, just CIS

Are You Using The Latest Of Version Of CIS i.e 3.9.95478.509. If No Make A Fresh Install Of The Latest version And Check After That. If You Are Already Using CIS 3.9, And If Its An Upgrade from previous version, Then Once Again You Need To Check Making A Fresh Install Of CIS 3.9

I downloaded the latest version and did a clean install but it did not help any.

Check after disabling D+ permanently and update the result

This has never happened to me im on vista comodo works fine

Disabling D+ seemed to help. Any idea why? What do I loose by have D+ turned off?

The Defense+ component of Comodo Internet Security is a host intrusion prevention system that constantly monitors the activities of all executable files on your PC. With Defense+ activated, you are warned EVERY time an unknown application executable (.exe, .dll, .sys, .bat etc) attempts to run. The only executables that are allowed to run are the ones you give permission to.

Defense+ also protects against data theft, computer crashes and system damage by preventing most types of buffer overflow attacks. This type of attack occurs when a malicious program or script deliberately sends more data to its memory buffer than that the buffer can handle. It is at this point that a successful attack can create a back door to the system through which a hacker can gain access.

Defense+ boasts a highly configurable security rules interface and prevents possible attacks from root-kits, inter-process memory injections, key-loggers and more. It blocks Viruses, Trojans and Spyware before they can ever get installed on your system and prevents unauthorized modification of critical operating system files and registry entries.

I hope by now you would be clear about what do you miss by disabling Defense+

So any idea why D+ would be causing this problem and how I might correct the problem without having to lose the protection of D+

First, I Would Like To Know Your Configuration Details, Inorder To Know That, Follow The Steps mentioned Below
Right Click On The CIS Icon In The System Tray
Highlight Configuration
Note Which Configuration Option Is Selected.
Update Us With The Results

Internet Security

Fine. I Would Request You Change The Settings To Proactive Secutity And Restart The System. By Doing This We Configure Your D+ Settings From Start . From Now All The Rules Will Be Configured Newly.

Switching to proactive and enabling D+ again brings back the problem.

Can you show us a screenshot of the D+ logs? They can be found under Defense + → Common Tasks → View Defense + Events.

Table

:

Defence+ Logs

Date Created

:

6/25/2009 8:35:53 PM

Log Scope

:

All The Times

Records count

:

Date/Time Application Action Target
6/19/2009 11:51:01 PM C:\Program Files\Comodo\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe Changes Defense+ Mode Safe Mode
6/20/2009 1:46:09 AM C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe Send Message C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
6/20/2009 1:59:24 AM C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe Send Message C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
6/20/2009 2:08:12 AM C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe Send Message C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
6/20/2009 2:11:59 AM C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe Send Message C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
6/21/2009 12:42:19 AM C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe Send Message C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
6/21/2009 12:42:31 AM C:\Program Files\Comodo\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe Changes Defense+ Mode Clean PC Mode
End of The Report