strong hard disk activity

I don’t know if anybody ever noticed the same, but since I have Comodo Firewall installed on my computer I get some strong hard disk activity from time to time. It never happens when cpf is unloaded or uninstalled. This activity generaly lasts about 30 sec, and during these 30 seconds the whole pc is unusable, it’s like a strong page file transfer or something. I have tried to locate which program was responsible by opening the task manager but I did not notice any program using too much memory when the problem happens, not even cpf. That’s why I’m thinking of a page file activity. And once again, that does not happen when cpf is not loaded or uninstalled. Thanks for your help.

Hi apache255

Sorry I had to move your topic & I couldn’t leave a redirect topic (Admin’s orders). It will get better exposure in this section anyway.

The only DIO that CFW performs in normal operation, that I’m aware of, is to write to the Log. Is there anything in CFWs Log?

thanks for your reply.
no, the log file located under all users/application data/comodo etc… appears to be empty. I thought that cpf might be scanning for new apps from time to time…???..or maybe my computer is getting old, and my 512 MB ram cannot deal with cpf…the only thing I’m sure of is that this harddisk activity nver happens when cpf is not loaded.

Hi apache255

I believe 512MB is more than adequate for CFW. So, I don’t think this would be the cause of additional DIO. In any event, any DIO as a result of limited memory would be performed by Windows, not CFW.

CFW only scans for known applications when its told to. It doesn’t do this automatically.

On CFWs Log, I believe that it initially stores the entries somewhere else (there was a problem where CFW did not save the Log on reboot… that’s how I know). You can only be sure that CFWs Log is empty from within CFW itself, not through Windows Explorer.

actually that’s right, the activity log of cpf can only be accessed from within cpf. My mistake might be that I allocated too much hd space to it (choice between 5 and 100 MB).Anyway thank you.

I have noticed that cmdagent.exe is doing some work sometimes. It last about 10-15 seconds, but it doesn’t lock my computer. It takes about 5-15% of CPU during that short time.
cmdagent.exe is a part of the firewall together with cpf.exe

I did’nt know that file was a part of cpf; I just found it in task manager and I will take a closer look at it’s activity. Do you know what that file is for? sorry I just found out. It’s a service, installed by cpf and automatically started with windows (and cpf of course).That coud be ressource demanding. The service is set to automatic and cannot be stopped, even if cpf is unloaded. I guess cpf would not work at all without this service anyway.

CMDAGENT.EXE is CPFs primary application (actually a Service), CPF.EXE is the GUI for us users.

ok, thanks Kail. cpf is a brilliant firewall anyway, and I’ll keep using it. I’ve had two or three annoying bugs related to it since I’m using it, unresolved bugs, but not major bugs. And the way cpf protects a pc is amazing. Sygate was not that good and ZoneAlarm does not match cpf qualities either. Bravo to the Comodo team for that!

(R)