Strange things on Microsoft product

hi all, got this on another forum :

1. try making a new folder and name it CON

2. type on notepad: Bush hid the facts ,save the file, and try reopening the file

3. type on microsoft word :=rand (200, 99) and press Enter

weird huh ???
anybody knows WHY?

Yep, I know about “con”. Windows (W2k & XP, not sure about Vista) will flatly refuse to call a folder “con”. Why? I believe it’s a Windows reserved word, Windows probably uses it for something special (data pipes maybe?).

1. I doubt this works on all versions of Word… it’s an easter egg (like the Excel flight simulator… did ya know there was a simple flight sim inside Excel?) written by MS coders.

2. Probably another easter egg, but first I’d heard of this one.

:o

Mr. Hacker Ganda, can you enlighten us some more? First time I’ve encountered such easter eggs/glitches.

Mr. Hacker Ganda, can you enlighten us some more? First time I’ve encountered such easter eggs/glitches.

well, i don’t even know how to quote your post ;D like i said, i’ve got it from a forum.

[i]ep, I know about “con”. Windows (W2k & XP, not sure about Vista) will flatly refuse to call a folder “con”. Why? I believe it’s a Windows reserved word, Windows probably uses it for something special (data pipes maybe?).

3. I doubt this works on all versions of Word… it’s an easter egg (like the Excel flight simulator… did ya know there was a simple flight sim inside Excel?) written by MS coders.

2. Probably another easter egg, but first I’d heard of this one.[/i]

and do you have some fishy easter egg too by reversing the number? ;D

oh, and how do i get the “flight sim” ? i wanna try it

Fishy easter eggs? Erm… don’t know any fish ones. But, the Windows 3.11 easter egg was very cheesy… right down to animated Mr Gates waving as the entire MS crews name flashed past.

To address your edit…

edit: had to edit the URL… the BB’s not parsing it properly.

The largest Easter egg is purported to be in the Atari 400/800 version of Pitfall II: Lost Caverns, which contains an entire game that was more complex and challenging than the original Pitfall II. Many personal computers have much more elaborate eggs hidden in ROM, including lists of the developers’ names, political exhortations, snatches of music, and (in one case) images of the entire development team. The 1997 version of Microsoft Excel contained a hidden flight simulator;[2][3] the 1997 version of Word, a pinball game.[4] The Palm operating system has elaborately hidden animations and other surprises. The Debian GNU/Linux package tool apt-get has an Easter egg involving an ASCII cow when variants on “apt-get moo” are typed into the shell. Another notable Easter egg is from The MathWorks’ MATLAB: the why command provides succinct random answers to almost any question.

:frowning: >:( >:( i have excell 2003

My uttermost memorable easter egg was… a long time ago… a machine called a Xerox (yep, they did make more than copiers… remember Xerox Park… where Bill got his ideas from?) Sigma 9. This system had a Fortran IV compiler (very popular with engineers at the time)… anyway, this company I worked for had a standard where all goto labels where 4 character alphas… like XAAB and so on… in these days massive compiles took a long time & were quite hard to get right. 4 hours we waited… and compiler said…

go to JAIL

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to jail.

… that was it. It stopped & refused to continue. Four hours blown. It took a while to find that particular egg… funny. :smiley:

i guess Xerox should stick on making copiers ;D

It’s a button called “Quote”.

[attachment deleted by admin]

CON is an old DOS device much like NUL,COM1,PRN…
CON means CONSOLE

If you have no editor you can type COPY CON > FILE.TXT from the command prompt. Alter you finished typing you have to press [CTRL key]and [Z key] and hit [ENTER key]

Gibran pretty much explained it. If you want to name it CON, simply use a space before or after :wink:

Nothing happens in old trustworthy WordPad 5.1 :frowning:

Background of = rand(200,99)

Word for Windows has a powerful built-in macro language. Try highlighting text and holding down the shift key while pressing F3 (Function key 3). That’s a more useful Word macro in action.

To return to = rand(200,99). The effect of zillions of : The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog, works even if you omit any numbers, = rand(), moreover you can try other numbers, for example = rand(2,3). Soon you will realize that the first number refers to the paragraphs, while the second number refers to the sentences. Who ever initiated this urban myth wanted to demonstrate the maximum parameters of sentences and paragraphs.

=rand() is a well known random function hand for statistics or simulating card games such as blackjack.

Finally, a word about the phrase:
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

This is a classic sentence to check every letter in the English alphabet, for example to see how letters with tails appear in different fonts.

Taken from here.

Cheers,
Ragwing

WOW :o that works ;D , but can’t use the “insert quote” .

Gibran pretty much explained it. If you want to name it CON, simply use a space before or after
OK, i’ll think of it when i want to make a new folder. who wants to do that anyway ??? CON? swindle? ;D

Microsoft? Nah can’t be… 88)

Microsoft? Nah can’t be… 88)
i forgot to press the “quote” button ;D

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
i still can’t understand the meaning of using this sentence ;D

Yep, even in Windows Vista the I cannot name a file CON.

[attachment deleted by admin]