Still Too Many Alerts After A Year

I have been using Comodo Firewall for a year. I have it set to safePc. I ALWAYS say “remember” and “OK” to EVERY alert that comes up. If I am installing software I tell it so and say “YES” to run in installl mode.

I still get an absolutely maddening amount of alerts. I say yes remember and it will pop up the exact same alert I just told it to remember was OK.

I have to say O.K. multiple times to perform OS functions such as Control Panel.

When I started using this I was told that it would take a while for Comodo to learn but I didn’t think it would take this long. I must be doing something wrong.

Any suggestions of things to try?

Can you tell us what configuration you are using? Look under Miscellaneous → Manage my configurations to see which one is active.

Let us know how your Firewall Behaviour Settings and the accompanying Alert settings. They can be found under Firewall → Advanced. How is your Defense set? See under Defense + → Advanced → Defense + settings.

It says “Optimum Security”. I’m guessing that is at least part of my problem?

Firewall - Safe Mode
Defense - Clean PC Mode

Thanks a ton for trying to help! :-TU

What version of Comodo are you using?

Can you give me a couple of examples of these type of events? Do you use predefined policies or do you totally go alert by alert? Using predefined policies may help to lower the amount of alerts.

Can you show me screenshots of such a scenario?

Version 3.5.54375.427

What screen shots would be helpful. The alert windows that pop up?

I don’t know what a predefined policy is. When and alert pops up I click the remember box and click OK. It’s gotten to be that I don’t even read them anymore.

That is a old version, it gives a lot of Alert Windows.

Try the new one:
https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews_cis/comodo_internet_security_310102363531_released-t41954.0.html;msg304186#msg304186

You will first have to unistall 3.5, reboot, then run the download.

Where did you download 3.5 from?

Do you run applictions directly from a USB flash drive, a USB external hard drive or directly from CD/DVD?

If so, CIS will never remember allow rules for applications launched from removable media.

The logic behind this is that as they can, and probably are, used on systems other than yours (which is protected by CIS but the other systems may not be), there cannot be a reliance of trust on the contents of the removable drive, as they may have been modified when connected to a non-CIS protected PC.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Thanks. Why didn’t auto update do that for me?

I downloaded 3.5 from Comodo’s site. Why do you ask?

Are there any configuration tips for the new version?

Will it remember what it did learn from the old version?

No. This is happening to me on basic OS stuff like printing and control panel. I will try the new version and report back.

The CIS updater only updates to the next version ( 3.8 ) (but 3.8 is offline now), not to the lattest version (3.10).

Just wondering if there was a site that only lets you download 3.5. When did you download it?

The default config is ok, but if you want slightly higher (and more security) popups switch to Proactive.

No, and dont import any rules as this will most likely damage 3.10.

Thanks a lot for the info. I downloaded it around this time last year.

No Problem

Oh and also the updater does NOT automaticly update CIS when a new version comes out.
It only tells you that a update is avalible then you have to tell it to update.

I installed the new version of Comodo with all the default options last night. I did not change to the highest security setting or Defense+ but left it at the default of Defense. I allowed it to give and receive the community info on how many times an alert has been allowed or denied.

When I reinstalled Yahoo Messenger I had to click “Allow” to somewhere around 25 separate alerts.

I am not going to sit and analyze each one of those alerts. I’m going to assume that anything that comes up while I’m installing the program is from the program and I’m going to allow it. Why doesn’t Comodo do that for me so I can walk away from the computer while it does the installation instead of having to baby sit it?

When you double clicked the installer for Yahoo Messenger, what you should have done on the first alert is to select “Treat this as” and chosen “Installer or Updater”.

Doing this would have allowed the installer carte blanche access to your system, allowed it to completely install and prompted you after 5 minutes to change from Installation Mode back to whatever mode your system was in prior to selecting “Installer or Updater”.

This method should only be used when you trust the installation package, as it does grant the installer fairly wide priveleges.

When using installation mode, you will only have to answer the initial alert and the reminder at the end to switch back.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

The version I upgraded from asked me if I wanted to do that with a pop up. I didn’t realize you had had to select it from the Alerts now.

Thanks for the reply! :slight_smile:

The new version does seem to be doing better but I had a very annoying problem recently.

I Remote Desktop from my Vista Quad Core to my XP Pentium 4. I have my printer set up on the Quad Core and tried to print to it from the Pentium 4.

Comodo kept showing me an alert for rundll32.exe. I had to say yes well over 30 times to that message before I finally gave up and walked away.

The document printed and when I came back to the system the Comodo alert was gone but why did that happen?