Steam Games[HELP]

Hi everyone, Im running CPF 3 on Windows Vista Home Premium here, and I have a small problem with Steam (Valve Software’s content delivery system for a number of games).

Every time a steam game is run, a couple of files in the steam directory are modified, and I have to add them to “my safe files” from “my pending files”. The game will not run until I have done this. Because they are modified every time a game is run, It has to be done every single time.

I tried to add the Steam folder to the safe-list, but it would take a very long time to add each individual file to the list. In the end it would just lock up and I would have to reboot to regain control of my PC. It is a gaming laptop, so it is not short of processing power…

Any suggestions?

Try to set the Defense+ Settings to Clean PC Mode or lower.

Taken from the Defense+ Help:

Training Mode: The firewall will monitor and learn the activity of any and all executables and create automatic ‘Allow’ rules until the security level is adjusted. You will not receive any Defense+ alerts in ‘Training Mode’. If you choose the ‘Training Mode’ setting, we advise that you are 100% sure that all applications and executables installed on your computer are safe to run.

Tip: This mode can be used as the “Gaming Mode”. It is handy to use this setting temporarily when you are running an (unknown but trusted) application or Games for the first time. This will suppress all Defense+ alerts while the firewall learns the components of the application that need to run on your machine and automatically create ‘Allow’ rules for them. Afterwards, you can switch back to ‘Train with Safe Mode’ mode).

I have just tried what you suggested, and I am still getting up to 50 files needing review on every execution. I have added Valve (the developer) to my trusted vendors list, and I have added steam.exe to every exclusion/trusted application/trusted file list I can find.

The games will now run without me reviewing the files and sending them to the safelist, but I end up with a huge pending list.

I must admit, I’ve just disabled Defense+ function because its utility is unfortunately low because of too much annoying notifications.