Start Minimized

I would like to have Backup start minimized when the computer boot up. I have not been able to find a setting configuration under Options|General that accomplishes this. If the Load at Windows Startup option is chosen the program always opens up in Windows. If this is unchecked the program does not open at all and there are no backups.

Am I doing something wrong or is this beyond Backup’s capability? I do know that other less sophisticated (at least on the surface) programs open in the System Tray and function quite normally in backup and synchronized modes. I can’t believe that Backup cannot do this as well but I can’t figure out how to configure the options.

I’ma newbie too so I hope I don’t stear you wrong.

However, I didn’t have to do anything to get the following behaviour - it did it right out of the box. When the PC boots up I get a small shield icon (similar to the firewall icon) in the System Tray. This is the Comodo Launchpad. As far as I can tell that means the backup is running, and if I set up scheduled backups, they fire up and off they go.

Thanks for your input. When I first installed BackUp it functioned as you describe. However, I then started to investigate different Option settings and at some point it stopped working correctly and opened whenever the computer booted up. I then uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing changed. Recalling that some programs do not properly uninstall and leave registry entries behind I again uninstalled and used a registry cleaner. Then reinstalled and the program worked as it did initially.

My conclusion is that (1) there is one or more configurations of the Options that make the program open when the computer boot up and (2) the program’s uninstall does not do a complete job of deleting registry entries which then create problems upon reinstallation.

I too have a similiar issue. In spite of setting the program to open minimized, the launch screen still opens, and you’re forced to close it. For myself that would be not much of a problem. But my wife also uses the computer, and would be very annoyed at haveing to close a window each time she logs on.

It seems that if one were set the selection to run minimized, then the Lauch Pad Window open at all.

I’m using Window Home Edition, SP2.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
MLReynolds

me too…settings do not work…

I apologize that no one has responded with a solution. Have any of you filed a ticket with Comodo Support? http://support.comodo.com/

LM

No. I have not filed a ticket. Thought I’d wait for the next version update.

MLReynolds

Hi
Here is my experience with Comodo Backup for what it is worth.
When installed all that you see in the system tray is the LaunchPad which you can get rid of if you don’t like it. Backup installs as a service so you do not need to install it at startup. Make sure the service is running and on automatic. You can find this at Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. The name of the service is ComodoBackupService. If the service is not running then I would suspect a bad install. Here are the settings under options that I have checked. Hide splash window at startup and minimize Comodo Backup while running. Nothing else. It has been working very well for me and I have it do two backups each day on various folders and one full backup each week. I have had a few problems with it but mostly things that need to be refined a bit. If you do an uninstall make sure the service is stopped so it will be removed.
Hope this helps you
John

Hey jjasper,

Since you seem to be geting your head around Comodo Backup pretty well, do you think it would be a good idea to add the ability to write a backup to CD-R (not CD-RW) as a session, rather than using UDF to write files to a CD-RW?

Ewen :slight_smile:

Ewen :slight_smile:

do you think it would be a good idea to add the ability to write a backup to CD-R (not CD-RW) as a session, rather than using UDF to write files to a CD-RW?
I think that would be a natural progression for the developers to work on. I would like it and it would be something that I would use. However there are other little tweaks that I would like them to do first - some cosmetic and some functional. All in good time. I hope that someone at Comodo will pick this up as a project to refine and perfect. It is a good product and I have said it before - the best I have used so far.

John