'|' stands for? ('X:\XXXXX.XXX|')

1. I’m a newbie, and I searched a long time for no results.
  2. What’s the difference between ‘C:\XXXXX.XXX’ and ‘C:\XXXXX.XXX|’ ?

Thank you!

Dunno where you’re seeing this: A file name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > |

In general the vertical broken bar is used in scripts as ‘pipes’.

Were does that come from? I don’t have anything like that.

Look in Defense+ → Computer Security Policy → Protected Files and Folders.

Nothing like that in there.

There are several groups with all the items greyed out. NONE of the items have a vertical bar anywhere in the pathnmae. I loaded up the original default configs, nothing in there either.

Default Config.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Roger that. I see them now. OMG! :o That’s so totally NOT in my custom config. It was imported from v4.x.whatever the last one was.

Erm, I’m going to have to fix that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, wait a minute :P0l

Does stuff get added into there somehow auto like?

Because I’m looking in the ‘important, like, stuff’ group and I have thirteen items.

%windir%\system32*
%windir%\system*
%windir%\servicing*
%windir%\SoftwareDistribution*
%windir%\system.ini
%windir%\win.ini
%windir%\wininit.ini
%windir%\winstart.bat
%windir%\Tasks*
?:\boot.ini
?:\autorun.inf
?:\ntdetect.com
?:\ntldr

I’ll guarantee that none of those things were put there by me. That’s essentailly default from v4.x.last version.

I never actually installed version 4, but I remember version 3 had a longer default list than the one in version 5.

Roger that.

Looks like all the extra stuff is addressed with %windir%*

Qwexion: what’s the diff between C:\Windows* and C:\Windows*

The former includes all files & folders in C:\Windows but the latter only folders?

Yeah, but I guess the question is, why didn’t they just use that path in the existing versions?

Good question, but I believe they’ll do the exact same thing.

The help file says to protect everything in C:\windows\system32, use C:\windows\system32*.

However, looking at the way exclusions in the AV work, if you exclude a folder, (navigate to the folder and tell it to exclude) the format CIS adds to the list is C:\foo\bar*, not C:\foo\bar*. But the two exclusions that come by default have the “[b][/b]” before the wildcard. For example, C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security*.

Why the difference between those you add and the defaults?

So I did a quick test with my music folder because it has both files sitting in the main directory, and folders for all the artists/albums. Using either the My Music* or My Music* syntax netted the exact same results when I run a scan. (Zero files scanned) So assuming the path syntax for the protected files section works the same as with the AV exclusions, the “[b][/b]” before the wildcard is irrelevant.

Edit: Added some bold face to the paths.

Thanks very much Dennis2.

the path X:\XXX* contains X:\XXX*, e.g. there’re folder X:\Cloud\ and X:\Cloudcache, the string X:\Cloud* contains both X:\Cloud\ and X:\Cloudcache, but X:\Cloud* only X:\Cloud.

" for string of any length, and “*” is part of "”.

So X:\Cloud* makes implicit reference to X:\Cloud and all of its contents, and also X:\CloudCache and its contents? What about sub-folders of each? What about differentiation betwixt sub-folders and folder contents w/out extension? And what about sub-folders/items contained within subfolders?

A:\BCD* represent:(x=any character)

A:\BCDxxxxx (files beginning with BCD and without extension in A:)
A:\BCDxxxxx.xxx (files beginning with BCD and with extension in A:)
A:\BCD\xxxxxxxx(.xxx) (all files w/out extension in A:\BCD)
A:\BCDXXXXX\xxxxxxxx(.xxx) (all files w/out extension in all subfolders beginning with BCD of A:)
A:\BCDXXXXX\XXXXXXXX\xxxxxxxx(.xxx)
A:\BCDXXXXX\XXXXXXXX\XXXXXXXX\xxxxxxxx(.xxx)