stand-alone firewall?

hello. i have been using the great comodo firewall for going on 2 years now. please consider making the firewall available separately without anything else included such as Anti-Malware, as it was long ago. ;D ;D ;D

You can install just the firewall on its own during CIS installation, and then, if you don’t want it, disable defense+ as well after installation is complete.

Just uncheck ‘Install Comodo Antivirus’ at the installation configuration screen.

thanks for your reply.
from a minimalist’s point of view, i just see no point in bloating the installer, and in turn, the end user’s hard drive with optional components (AV, defense+) when all someone may need is the firewall.
a streamlined firewall-only build would be quite popular me thinks. defense+ is disabled, but it’s still residing on the drive, wasting valuable space.

It’s not bloat. If you check, you’ll see that the whole CIS installer is actually smaller than the old CFP one was (:WIN)

IMO it’s a good approach, which sets CIS apart from the other suites out there, in which you get everything, regardless as to whether you want it ot not.

Nothing Comodo related is bloated actually (:LGH) The reason the AV and Defense+ are left on the harddrive, even when inactive, is so that they can be added to CIS without the hassle of reinstalling the whole product. Just start the CIS configuration wizard and choose to add the antivirus, or remove something else or whatever.

D+ is not a bloat…
D+ is advised to keep on even if you only use the firewall…

D+ is what makes comodos firewall so strong against outbound leaks…
I suggest that you don’t disable D+ and instead set it to safemode…

Not quite true, the old CFP 3.0 installer was 18.66 MB (32 bit), CIS is now 33.7 MB (32 bit). This is a problem for those who still are on dial up, but hey, everything is relatively. For a firewall 33.7 MB is pretty much but not for a suite.

As for files on the disk, one can easily clean up some files (e.g. the Repair folder if you wish).

BTW criabiah, D+ is crucial for CF to pass all leak tests.

D+ is what makes comodos firewall so strong against outbound leaks..

Do you mean inbound leaks? Because AFAIK theres no such thing as outbound leaks…

Unless you’ve been reading Scott Finnie :slight_smile:

Not quite true, the old CFP 3.0 installer was 18.66 MB (32 bit), CIS is now 33.7 MB (32 bit
oopsy, my mistake (:SAD)

I’m sure he meant outbound leaks.

D+ controlling all processes running on the PC, is what stops the malicious posers from sending your data out.

Later

Ok my bad. I’m failing miserably at giving correct facts in this thread (:SAD)

I have those days.

Actually I meant…

Toilet leaks! :SMLR

Ewwww

before this thread literally tuned to sh!t, the point i was trying to make is this:

sometime in the year 2006, i first downloaded comodo firewall (CF_Setup_2.3.6.81.exe) and it was great because the thing was a mere 7.92 MB (8,307,792 B). you guys these days with your light speed internet connection and your yottabyte thumbdrives have no idea what software bloat actually means.

i watched comodo inflate before my very eyes from a humble fledgling firewall to this morbidly obese, pseudo-corporate counterfeit.

it’s still a good firewall, but it can’t be a great firewall until it sheds a few hundred pounds off the chin, hips and ■■■.

ouch, that’s kinda harsh :-\ . but no, sorry, as stated on various thread here, there won’t be separate firewall or separate other thing from CIS for efficiency reason.
you’ll need to download the whole CIS package BUT you can still choose which product(s) of the package you want to use.
(:WAV)

Ironically, one may consider CIS as less bloated than CPF 2.3.6.81 since I believe it takes less resources. :wink:

i’m afraid you are the only “one” to which you refer. let’s not confuse bloat with efficiency here. they are two completely different issues. i’m referring to the sheer size of the installation.

Bloat is usually refereed to as code inefficiency. Both the size and speed adds up, to judge if something is bloated. I think CIS is both small and efficient, not bloated.

It runs smoothly even on old computers and has low demands. The installation file could be considered bloated since it contains unnecessary stuff, but once installed removing the installation file goes quick.

CIS firewall is small one even with some AV files there.

If you are concerned about a few bytes then there is other stuff in your comp that you probably could strip off.

I’m not confusing it, just giving a different point of view. Generally I do agree with you, but as for CIS, I just can’t consider it as bloated, even though the installation is big. You can however delete many megabytes if you don’t care for the Repair function.

show me source examples where “bloat is usually referred to as code inefficiency” in the software engineering field.
your statement couldn’t be further from the truth because of the simple fact that software bloat and code bloat are two completely different problems.

a worthless argument to make, considering the suite you fan boys are so vehemently defending is supposed to be protecting the “other stuff” in my comp. furthermore, if it was only a few bytes, it wouldn’t be worth the hassle to create an account and start a thread in the first place. nice try though.

From the Wikipedia:

“Software bloat, also known as bloatware or elephantware[1], is a term used in both a neutral and disparaging sense, to describe the tendency of newer computer programs to be larger, or to use larger amounts of system resources (mass storage space, processing power or memory) than necessary for the same or similar benefits from older versions to its users. Additionally, the term bloatware is used in common language for pre-installed, huge software bundles, mostly consisting of demos and trial ware.”

Is it not true CIS uses less resources than CFP?
If true, then CIS is, by definition, not bloated.