SSL Certificate pop up

Please tell me if there is a way to turn off the SSL Cert pop up that always seems to get in the way of the post I am trying to read.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi,

This popup is from the ‘Corner of Trust’, that resides in the lower right corner of the screen.

And is activated by moving the mouse over it or clicking on it.

We are not aware of any browser options that you can set that will turn this off.

Garry

The NoScript extension for Firefox can “disable” it, or you might try disabling javascript if you don’t want to see it.

Hi Garry,

Have you considered placing the pop up somewhere that is not so intrusive and annoying? Or providing an opt out method… or shrinking the size of the corner gif so it doesn’t get moused over so easily on the way to the scroll bar… or something to keep it from popping up repeatedly?

I don’t understand why a forum member should have to look at that for 5 seconds, everywhere we go, should we be so unfortunate as to accidently mouse over the corner gif?

Really, who reads it? Especially, who reads it repeatedly, each time it pops up? What is the point in making a reader wait 5 seconds for the thing to disappear so that we can see what is behind it?

A million thanks for your consideration.

Interesting…
This should be the first topic to complaint about that “pop-up”.
As far as I know, no one had really come across (annoyed by) this “pop-up” before. As it need a few seconds to load, to properly display the box. …I mean, I can safely move my mouse over it, without popping the “pop-up”.
Perhaps by stating your screen resolution, browser you use, etc… will help us better understanding your situation?

Without use of a stop watch, I would estimate the “hover time” over the trust gif to be no more than 1 second. Agreed, it can be passed over rapidly without triggering the popup, but without a doubt, a user must consciously make a point of not lingering in any way (if you call 1 second lingering), and the pop up will still jump up if you casually slide your mouse pointer to the right to get it out of the way for reading purposes, let alone for scrolling.

Perhaps by stating your screen resolution, browser you use, etc... will help us better understanding your situation?
1024 by 768, Internet Explorer 6.0

And here is a screenshot of what your post looks like to me from time to time while reading it…

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi,

Have you considered placing the pop up somewhere that is not so intrusive and annoying? Or providing an opt out method... or shrinking the size of the corner gif so it doesn't get moused over so easily on the way to the scroll bar... or something to keep it from popping up repeatedly?

This is a ‘Corner of Trust’, and is designed to sit in the lower right hand side of the window.
It is not something that can be ‘opted out’ of.

And, an integral part of the functionality of the ‘Corner of Trust’ is its size (or hashed size).
Our developers have chosen to build in size checks as part of the functionality.
So unfortunately we cannot change the size.

‘something to keep it from popping up repeatedly’…I will pass on to our developers for consideration…thanks for the suggestion.

I don't understand why a forum member should have to look at that for 5 seconds, everywhere we go, should we be so unfortunate as to accidently mouse over the corner gif?

This shows that this is the authentic forum.

Garry

Greets Frac, (:WAV)

1.- I’ve never caused it to popup accidentally so it’s not that easy --but okay you don’t like it.

2.- It will disappear without disabling javascript wholly for the forums by bannig in your browser the domain it comes from (secure.comodo.net/images). That can be easily done in Opera, don’t know if there’s some Firefox extension that can do the same. (I’m not talking about script allowance for the domain you’re navigating but about blocking all kind of content from a third party domain.)

3.- It’s not designed (only) to be cool, it’s designed for security sensitive companies to showcase in their sites as a server built-in antiphishing tool. At Comodo’s own site it serves the additional purpose of promoting itself in order for the public and companies to get interested in and aware of it. So don’t expect it to be gone even if it caused an inconvenience once or twice. :stuck_out_tongue:

Question for you… do you actually think that I took the time to post about this topic, and to describe it, and make requests about resolving it, all because, in your words, “it caused an inconvenience once or twice”? That’s not even making an attempt to acknowledge a forum member’s concerns to speak so carelessly.

I’ll be as direct as I can.

It’s a pain in the ■■■. I believe it is ■■■■■■■■, unnecessary and blatant marketing overkill to have that “nag screen wannabe” jumping up repeatedly.

Another responder said it was to prove that this forum is authentic. Since we are speaking candidly here, WOW, that is ridiculous. First of all, Wilders, CastleCops, you name me one security forum that has members who need to be repeatedly assured and reminded that they are on an authentic site.

That’s just foolish that someone would even consider using that as a reason/excuse for that annoying pop up.

Thank you for that, but does it work in IE6.0 and if so would you elaborate on how to ban the domain? Via restricted sites?

That is an encouraging response. Thank you.

Yes, via the restricted sites under the Internet Tools Options.

As far as the necessity for verifying the site’s authenticity, well that’s how Comodo chooses to do so, and for a good reason. Every day legit sites are hacked (yes, even security companies), malicious content is added, users are redirected, and so on. Being in the security business, and having a goal to provide a safer, more secure internet, Comodo is using the “Corner of Trust” seal/logo on their own site to help promote awareness of the need. And yes, for their involvement in securing the web…

Japo’s point #3 is very valid. Comodo gives away software to us for free (yes, that’s redundant), and makes money as a Certificate Authority. They are working very hard to improve awareness of internet security in general, and also to build a user base that will extend over into more the areas from whence they derive their money. Here’s a thread in that regard which you might find interesting. https://forums.comodo.com/melihs_corner_ceo_talkdiscussionsblog/give_all_that_for_free_whats_the_catch_how_does_comodo_make_money-t764.0.html;msg4778#msg4778

Hope that helps,

LM

As a paid BOClean customer since 2002, that valid point means little to me. I find myself here now at this forum because I purchased the software 5 years ago.

Having asked for elaboration on how to ban the domain (Via restricted sites?), you replied, “Yes, via the restricted sites under the Internet Tools Options.”

When I enter secure.comodo.net/images into the restricted sites, I get a message that says, “The site you specified already exists in another zone. Please remove the site from the other zone before adding it to the current zone”.

Any thoughts on that? The pop up has definitely not gone away.

Thank you.

It may reside in the trusted sites list… once it’s removed there you can add to the restricted sites. I would suggest not using the /images at the end; just leave it at secure.comdo.net, as that will tag any subsets of the site (like images) as well.

LM

You know Fracture, dude.
You really need to tone down your attitude a little bit.
Paying some money for some product, does not make the company will automatically switching to your pleasuring machine in every aspect of it.
On some point of interest there’s a standard they need to keep and force it to be this way.
And you really need to take that by the heart.
Because as I’ve already mention at my first reply before, this is indeed the first post to complaint about those pop-up. …and I do really mean it, literally.
Now I’ve use IE6, IE7, FF, Opera, and Safari just to taste this strange behavior you’ve been complaining. And to my finding, it never actually pop right away; like in 1 or 2 seconds my cursor gets in touch with it. In fact, it need 3 seconds+ to trigger the pop-up.
Now, I’m not trying to say, that you’re lying or something…
But web programing like HTML, PHP, etc are a solid code with static result (and behavior) from one computer to another.
And so it comes to the conclusions, that this strange phenomena only occur within your PC so far.
And we need you to elaborate with every person replying to this topic, to be as calm as possible. As they’re main intention was just trying to help you. …so, tune down, and behave.
Even mods are human; like you. Do not offend the others, and they won’t do the same to you.

And if you’re in trouble to find the corresponding options that other members suggest you. Try to take a short walk to Wikipedia, or do some Google search. And if you decide to ask for direction to the others, please ask it nicely.

…you won’t like it when people start calling you n00b.

Actually, dude, it takes two to make an attitude. You can’t hear my voice. You read my words. There is no inflection here, no tone. You “hear” what you want to hear.

I’ve said thank you to more than one responder here. And I don’t lecture… like you did in your last post.

So, dude, your take on my attitude is wrong. I think you have an attitude. But I have no need or desire to lecture you on it. I wouldn’t be so presumptuous as to think I had something to teach you.

As the old song goes, before you accuse me, take a look at yourself. Dude.

Paying some money for some product, does not make the company will automatically switching to your pleasuring machine in every aspect of it.
Ah, more lecturing. I didn't bring up that I paid for BOClean, and I didn't say Comodo owes me anything. Someone said Comodo [i]gives[/i] their software away, and I said they didn't [i]give[/i] me anything.
And so it comes to the conclusions, that this strange phenomena only occur within your PC so far.
You think?
...you won't like it when people start calling you n00b.
Got attitude?

It’s not in the trusted sites list and adding to the restricted sites list keeps giving that same above-mentioned message. I tried the truncated version you suggested, to no avail.

garry said, “I will pass on to our developers for consideration…thanks for the suggestion.” That looks like the best hope.

Thank you.

Well I don’t know if I managed to make an attempt to acknowledge a forum member’s concerns but I do know I tried to do something to ease them, what is a further attempt in my book. One man’s molehill is another man’s mountain I guess and there’s nothing wrong about it if nothing is made wrong about it.

I don’t think it’s wrong for Comodo to do marketing, even to do “blatant” marketing since that adjective is wholly subjective.

Proving that a (security firm’s) site is authentic is not ridiculous IMO.

Someone said Comodo gives their software away, and I said they didn't give me anything.
Wrong AFAIK. Comodo purchased Privacy Software Corp.'s assets, not the whole company which got extinct, not its liabilities. With the company you paid to extinct, the support and updates are given away to you by Comodo just like to the rest of us.

Over and out, and yes you’re most welcome.

EDIT: BTW in this case it’s your browser what’s not doing its job, or you not telling it to properly. I can confirm you that I can get it blocked with Opera.

No, but proving it over and over and over again, if not ridiculous, is what? Annoying?

I can confirm you that I can get it blocked with Opera.
As I said, I run IE6.0.

fracTure, I understand that you don’t like the popup, and that it annoys the heck out of you. I will try, as soon as I can get back to my machine that has IE on it, to see if I can duplicate the error you’re getting when trying to block the site, or to successfully accomplish it. If I get something concrete that seems like it will help you, I’ll let you know. This, however, may take me a day or two, so don’t give up hope.

Everyone, I appreciate the sentiments on both sides of the issue, but please watch the “tone” of the conversation (however you think of that when typing/reading). Words, whether spoken or written, do have meaning and convey connotation quite well, as they should… We don’t need anyone getting all cheesed over this matter, feelings hurt, and so on.

Thanks for listening/reading,

LM

Once Comodo’s leader post in this forum and said:
“Being in the security business, is like playing hide & seek (mouse and cat; you’re it; tag, etc). You’ve got to keep the phase, and chasing one to another.”
That’s why its really important for the company to proof what standard they have.