Spybot Ad-Aware - application rules help

I’d like for Comodo to ask me when Spybot and Ad-Aware want to access the internet.
So I set the rules for them under application monitor, at least I thought I did.
When I click updates on either program, they connect without Comodo asking me for permission.
The rules look like this…

Application → Spybot

• skip parent
    • apply the following criteria

General (tab)
Action - ask
Protocol - TCP/UDP
Direction - In/Out

Destination IP
Any

Destination Port
Any

Miscellaneous
-blank-

…is that right or wrong?
Thanks again

To make the update application ask before connection, you have to have a rule explicitly naming the update module, not just the application itself.

For example, cpf.exe is the Comodo Firewall executable, but cpfupdate.exe is the Comodo Firewall Update module. Application rules are for single executables, not for all the executables that may be called by an application.

To make a rule that ensures that Spybot and Adaware update modules ask before connecting, you’ll need to identify each applications update executable and create a rule for each.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Okay that makes sense, however, with spywareblaster, there’s no update module.
Tried it with Spybot (there is an update module), yet it still went ahead and attempted a download without prompting me.
Thanks…

Hello,

This is because Spyware Blaster is in the Safe Applications list, Comodo doesn’t ask because it already knows that Spyware Blaster is a safe application.

Thanks for clearing that up Justin.:■■■■ (:CLP)
I’m assuming the same goes for Ad-Aware, Spybot and any other “good” programs…?

I’m a new user, so I hope you will bear with me. But it bothers me that Comodo makes such decisions, and I want all apps not explicitly authorised blocked from the internet; how can I achieve this please? Where is the Safe Applications list, and can it be edited?

Thanks

Henry

If you open CPF and click on SECURITY - ADVANCED - MISCELLANEOUS, you can turn off “Do not show alerts for application certified by Comodo”. This will then automatically ignore the safelist and show you alerts for every app that tries to access an external destination.

hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Thank you. I have also now seen this posted elsewhere.

Henry