Special Executables

Hi,

I recently upgraded Comodo and the new version looks very robust. I have a problem and checked for the answer in the Help file but don’t see it and don’t have much time to fart around looking for an answer. Am hoping you fine folks can assist. Here’s the problem:

I have a backup program that collects recently changed files and automatically encrypts them into password protected, self-extracting/encrypted executable files then uploads them to an online storage site via FTP. Some files are placed in my USB thumb drive. These tasks are performed daily.

It seems that since the upgrade that they’ve not been delivered to their destinations but are being dumped into the My Pending Files because of the settings I have for Comodo (right now both Firewall and Defense are set to Training Mode). While it seems I can use the Add or Move To feature of My Pending Files, I’m not sure it will help as these files are generated daily with ever incrementing filenames.

Question: How do I get Comodo to not trap these files?

I don’t know if this 'splains my problem sufficiently but I hope you get the idea. If not, please let me know and I’ll try to get more info. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul

I don’t know if you actually have not been able to do the normal actions that you have been doing all along. The “My Pending Files” list is just a list of the newly created files on your system. It also lists Temp files and a number of other files that get removed in operation. They are not held anywhere, and so your files may have been properly sent on their way. Check the destination to see if the expected backups are there. The “Purge” function on the “My Pending Files” list is intended to remove files that are no longer on the HD from the list. The idea is to avoid looking up or submitting files that no longer exist. The intended function of the list is to review new files to sort out any bad stuff, identify known safe files and get a good list of safe software in Comodo’s database.

Hi,

Many thanks for your detailed answer. One question: do I need to purge the Pending Files or will it take care of itself? Thanks again.

Regards,

Paul

If you are using the CFP 3 ruleset for your FTP CLient, there is a rule missing. You need to add the rule for passive FTP (most commonly used):

allow
TCP
out
any
any
any
any

See http://www.slacksite.com/other/ftp.html , for example, for more than you ever wanted to know about FTP.

The Pending Files list is for your information and to allow you to see what new files have been created on your system. It will get very large if you do not process it. I had over 2000 files added to it after a particularly big install. The Purge process just allows you to see which of the files are no longer present on your system - there are a number of .tmp files and folders as well as .dll’s and exe files that are temporarily created and removed during the normal operation of your system. I just use Purge to eliminate them, and then Lookup the remainder and Submit any unknowns less than 3 Mb. This is currently a manual process, but I am suggesting that it be automated because a lot of people will not want to be bothered with handling it. If you want to just clear the list, you can simply select all the files and Remove them. This empties the list.

Many thanks, gents. It seems to be running fine without my involvement so I’ll not pester you any further.

Best regards,

Paul