Some software not starting + config

Hi Everyone, I’m new here and to CIS. I hope you don’t mind a few questions as I want to get off to a good start with this amazing app. I’m using custom ruleset for the firewall, so that I can configure everything exactly as I want. (win 10 x64)

I have a video editing program (SolveigMM), that when I try to start it as I did pre-CIS, it worked fine for the past year. Now when I try to start it, I get the windows timer/wheel thing going for about 30 seconds (its not the usual smooth full 360 spin, but like the gif keeps looping 12-2 o’clock in a jerky motion, and the app just doesn’t start. In the task manager, it is tagged as “suspended”. How do I solve this?

For other software that run locally (127.0.0.1 TCP), etc, what is the best setting for those? For example, software that I want to give full access system-wise, but block from the internet.

Lastly, as a side question: I’ve downloaded and installed the (free?) Comodo Internet Security Premium …just wondering if it’s a free version why it uses Premium in the title? Just worried in case it’s installed as a trial and after a few weeks of setting things up, I need to purchase a license or something for the same functionality. If someone could please clarify.

Thanks for any help.

Can you check the HIPS and Containment Logs and see if they report about SolveigMM?

You could try adding the executable of SolveighMM that you see in Task Manager to Don’t detect shellcode injections in these applications.

I tried uninstalling COMODO Internet security Prem, and IOuninstaller showed me there was the (good) bundleware (COMODO secure shopping and COMODO internet security essentials).

Uninstalled COMODO Internet security Prem+Shopping: Program still didn’t start.
Uninstalled COMODO internet security essentials and the app started fine again. But strange thing, now that I restarted and reinstalled the same setup, I don’t have the “COMODO internet security essentials” showing in my uninstaller. Still have the same issue with the video editing app not starting. :frowning:

EDIT:
Hi Eric, we posted at same time. Just saw yours. Will check now.

Just tried this. No joy.

Haven’t enabled HIPS this time round (just yet), but I checked logs anyway: not listed. Containment events, doesn’t list SolveigMM (but is showing a lot of cmd.exe …if that’s normal?)

Is there any way I can exclude the entire SolveigMM folder/contents from being affected?

First check the file list and make sure files are set to trusted, also did you make any changes to script analysis such as turning on embedded-code detection for cmd.exe? Though if you uninstalled CIS and the program still didn’t start, it most likely not an issue with CIS.

CIS Premium is for free. Comodo sometimes called it Freemium. There is no need to worry it will ever expire.

Could you try adding the installation folder of SolveigMM to “Don’t detect shellcode injections in these applications” and see if that makes a difference?

The logging for cmd.exe is probably related to programs starting a script file (CIS monitors executing of scripts). Futuretech beat me to this.

It is odd SolveigMM gets effected. I downloaded and installed it and it starts without a glitch. I am Windows 10 1809 (build 17763.503) x64. What version of CIS do you have installed?

Could you try uninstalling CIS using official clean up tool?

Hi Futuretech, checked and it’s trusted (thanks for links). cmd.exe, no I haven’t touched the script section (ECD is off) for cmd.exe. When I uninstalled COMODO, the app ran fine as always (as mentioned).

That’s fantastic!

Added the folder. No joy. *PS: I kill the SolveigMM in between each change.

:slight_smile: …It seems to trigger when Chrome runs, maybe it’s the extensions?

Strange it’s not working here, hmm. Windows 10 1809 (build 17763.529) x64 and CIS is 12.0.0.6818 with latest database.

Ok, finally got chance to try that tool. Thanks for the link. It restarted a few times cleaning. But it did leave behind the “COMODO Secure Shopping” app. It said to notify Comodo if it didn’t get everything…I guess that app counts. But after running that app, and with Secure shopping still installed, I tried SolveigMM again and it still didn’t work. Then I uninstalled Secure shopping. I then reinstalled CIS with “Secure shopping” and “Internet Security Essentials” unchecked. SolveigMM is now working fine again. It’s weird. Because the first time all that was left was “Internet Security Essentials” and it was blocking it, and this time it was just the Secure shopping and it was still being blocked. hmm

Off-topic: I unchecked that yahoo option on the installer, and still after a restart, I had another popup window trying to install yahoo again. As a new user that brought down my trust level a bit. Bit still loving CIS so far.

EDIT:
Ok, last update. I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled yet again and this time only without the “Secure shopping” and SolveigMM is working. :open_mouth:

I saw my Windows 10 was not up to date and updated it. SolveigMM still worked. I installed Secure Shopping and SolveigMM still worked. I installed Internet Security Essentials and SolveigMM still worked.

The only function of ISE is only to protect against Man In The Middle attacks. That function is also part of the protection Secure Shopping.

I am a bit confused. When you installed CIS the last time did you also install Secure Shopping or not?

The pop up you saw for Yahoo is most likely because you installed Comodo Dragon or IceDragon browsers. It’s an offer you can dismiss.

Cool, but it wasn’t the same story here. Hence my original post. It might be something to do with how it works once it’s licensed, I have no idea. But I’m just happy it’s working now. Thanks for checking on your side, I really appreciate it.

I was checking via the process of elimination, to see if it was one particular module of the suite. Turned out to be the secure shopping. So I didn’t install that the last time.

…Hope that clears up the confusion.

Yahoo: No, haven’t installed Comodo Dragon or IceDragon. I only use chrome. I know it’s optional as with many other programs, but it’s first time I’ve had something appear within the installation phase (de-selected as in the image), and later after a computer restart, having it appear for a second try, which I also de-selected.

And this is how it appears the second time (image from a quick internet search, it says v10 at the top, so this has been there for 2 major versions at least, as I have v12 installed)

Just in relation to the “trust” comment I made earlier, I guess it was 2-factor thing:

1. I had already just declined wanting yahoo.
  2. and this is my main issue. Yahoo has ZERO to do with security or updating anything in CIS. The popup clearly misleads the user (most non-savvy users don’t bother reading these things from my experience and just click next, next…).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m already really loving CIS and will recommend it to everyone. That’s why I’ve also stuck it out; checking to see how I can make it work best for my needs. I’m a video editor and 3D vfx artist, so I still have a lot of programs to check, as most run via license server (rlm). My husband just installed CIS on his laptop and is loving it (he’s not techy at all though, lol).

I very much appreciate the time and effort you are spending in going the process of elimination.

The difference in our situations suggest that there is another factor at work. Hunting that down would require more testing and trying and I can fully understand that is not where your priorities are.

Something worth trying is to run clean up tools for security program you had installed in the past. Incidentally a driver or service may be left behind after uninstalling which could create hard to pin point instabilities. On this page you can find a list of clean up tools: ESET Knowledgebase .

And this is how it appears the second time (image from a quick internet search, it says v10 at the top, so this has been there for 2 major versions at least, as I have v12 installed)

Just in relation to the “trust” comment I made earlier, I guess it was 2-factor thing:

1. I had already just declined wanting yahoo.
  2. and this is my main issue. Yahoo has ZERO to do with security or updating anything in CIS. The popup clearly misleads the user (most non-savvy users don’t bother reading these things from my experience and just click next, next…).

Don’t get me wrong, I’m already really loving CIS and will recommend it to everyone. That’s why I’ve also stuck it out; checking to see how I can make it work best for my needs. I’m a video editor and 3D vfx artist, so I still have a lot of programs to check, as most run via license server (rlm). My husband just installed CIS on his laptop and is loving it (he’s not techy at all though, lol).

I took a look at the second screen that you saw. That is misleading but I must admit that I never really read those things of any product. I just unclick whatever sponsor deal is offered. It’s something I taught myself ages ago.

You do have a valid point and since this is a help topic your observation is most likely to fly under the radar. You could start a topic in News / Announcements / Feedback - CIS for better exposure.

Cool to hear that your husband likes CIS as a non techy. When going under the surface this type of programs have a learning curve which tends to scare people.

If you run into problems with other programs please don’t hesitate to start separate topics for them.

Thanks for your help with all of this Eric, again it’s truly appreciated. I’ve just tried the ESET removal tool you linked and it found nothing (probably IOuninstaller did a great job of removing what it saw was installed, or the ESET uninstaller is very thorough). I will try, maybe next week, to see why that particular module of CIS gives me this issue.

I will post to the feedback section as you suggested, as maybe it’s just something that got overlooked somehow. Thanks again.

I just saw the topic you made in the feedback board.

When you post again could you also post a screenshot of the HIPS and Containment Logs. They may sometimes help to shed a light on things. When troubleshooting we also need to keep in mind a third party application might interfere. This is stuff to take one step at a time.