[Solved] Succeded leak tests: grc and pcflank

Hello there

I had CFP v3 installed with no settings changed. Following leak tests succeeded:

I had Outpost 2009 Pro installed. Same leak tests failed. Outpost asked if I want those applications to access Internet.

I’m average user with no knowledge or software to test my firewall. I see CFP doesn’t protect my from leaking information (keyloggers, spyware etc). Can I be sure CFP stops attacker from outside to access my system?

What firewall does the following jobs?

• Prevents attacker to access my system from outside;
  • Blocks Internet access for all applications, except ones specified by me.

Please give me some advice.

Comodo does provide the protection you need. Please read here. Everything you need Comodo can cover. But if your behind a hardware firewall GRC and PC Flank check that first. What kind of modem or router do you have? Please read here. If Outpost also failed then you must be have a hardware firewall that is not properly configured. I can pass the PC Flank and GRC test without Comodo.

https://forums.comodo.com/leak_testingattacksvulnerability_research/hardware_firewalls_regarding_shields_up_test-t25462.0.html

I am sorry I thought you where talking about the Shields Up test. Comodo passes the simply little GRC Leak test with no problems what so ever. Actually any firewall can pass that. Keep in mind if you had the leak test already downloaded in your pc and just installed Comodo and have D+ in Clean PC mode then Comodo will automatically trust that test. Delete the test and reboot. Then re download the test and run again. Also delete the test in the firewall and D+ area. If Outpost and Comodo both failed those test then your doing the tests wrong. Outpost and Comodo and Online Armor are the top firewalls out there. They all can pass this simply little test. If not then why are they all highly rated by Matousec.

After clean CFP install with reboot, those test failed. CFP is working indeed.

No complaints.

Thanks Vettetech!

Why did you uninstall and reinstall Comodo? You didn’t need to. Any other questions?

I wanted to try Outpost. It wasn’t bad but now CFP just works for me. I’m glad there is not much pop ups and tinkering. If CFP’s protection is not less then Outpost’s, I’m extremely thankful to all who made this alive. Free of charge is great.

Basically I do Internet surfing, Thunderbird email, Office, some IMing, system and applications updates. Is it a good idea to block all incoming connections? Let’s say my door is always locked and I do Kaspersky AV scan for all incoming files. Then there is no way any data will be stolen.

I found the same thing as this poster. After installing CFP, this first thing I tried without any settings changes was the GRC leaktest and it leaked. Did not take me long to figure out that since I had used the program before installing CFP that it was likely approved during initial installation. In the Defense+ list of programs I found and removed Leaktest and then the next time I used it, CFP popped up and asked me about it as expected.

I like the fact that CFP initially approves certain programs for access through the firewall on install (cuts down on the popups), however, I am concerned about the scenario above.

What if the Leaktest was a yet undiscovered malware that had run on my PC before I installed CFP, would it has gotten approved initially? Maybe the install Malware scan would have found, what if it was too new to find it? What if I opted not to run the initial scan?

As an advanced PC user, I don’t worry about my experience but am concerned about the noob. I think it would be nice to purposely present the user with all the install approved software during the install. A pop-up list with some guidance.

If you have any thoughts as to where this post might better serve the development of the software, please help me out.

After some further reading I am thinking the default setting of Defense + in ‘Clean PC’ mode bears some considerations. Maybe some questions during install would be best. Ideally, you are installing CFP during your Windows OS install and BEFORE it ever connects to the internet, this would warrant ‘Clean PC’ mode. However, reality is that the PC has been connecting to the internet long before the user installs CFP. Questions during install like, “Is this a fresh installation of your OS”? Or “Has this PC been connecting to the internet”. Something that adjusts the initial setting accordingly.

Not true. When you install Comodo it asks you if the system is clean and even offers a scan function. If your system is infected then you need to clear up that infection before doing anything else.

Thanks. An oversight on my part on the question ‘is my computer clean’. I will review the install process again.

Any thoughts to my other post regarding install approved software?