Slow response after Defense+ Alert

I am using Comodo Firewall Pro, version 3.0.22.349, and I am experiencing quite long responses after specifying what to do when asked by Defense+ Alert. No matter if I use “Allow this request” or “Treat this application as”, it always takes between 5 and 10 seconds with 100% CPU occupied before e.g. an installation or running a program from within another program continues. It always takes so long when the dialog with the Defense+ alert is shown.

I am using Windows XP Pro, Service pack 2 and NOD32 antivirus.

What am I doing wrong?

This is normal behavior till the firewall learns all your programs. After Comodo learns the rule it will not give you an alert again. But when you get a D+ pop up and click allow or whatever it is normal to have a 5 - 10 sec pause. Been this way since 3.0 came out. Online Armor behaves the same way.

Older versions don’t have this problem. See this thread - https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports/performance_issue_when_remembering_answer_from_def_alerts_v3018_21_x32-t21315.0.html. Perhaps try v3.0.14 if using XP or v3.0.15 if using Vista.

I beg to differ Brian. Going back to an older version doesn’t solve anything. Keeping up to date with the current version and having the best leak protection possible is a better what to look at it. The pause between when you click allow and wait for the program to continue has always been there since Comodo 3.0 came out. I consider it normal and it doesn’t bother me.

I can simply state my experiences. I have used v3.0.14 since December 2007 if I recall correctly. With this version, there are no noticeable delays whatsoever during creation of rules from a Defense+ alert, with a fairly large ruleset in my case. When I try the newer versions of CFP in a virtual machine, using the exact same ruleset, there is a lengthly wait when creating a rule in a Defense+ alert. Anybody who does not believe me can simply try v3.0.14 and gauge for yourself. You can also see testimony to the same effect from another user in the thread I mentioned in the previous post.

MrBrian, thanks a lot for your suggestions; I will consider downgrading to an older version even though I think it is a good idea to use the latest versions of computer’s security programs like firewall or antivirus.

On the other hand, if the slow response has been observed by more users and it seems to be quite clear which versions of CFP this issue appeared in, I would think the CFP developers could try resolving the problem.

You’re welcome :).