Skype Network Usage

Hello friends at Comodo,

I noticed that Skype is constantly using 100 percent of the network traffic, even when Skype is not in use. Comodo shows about 100 active connections (mainly inbound) under Skype. I never noticed this before, does anyone know if this is normal.

Thanks

Welcome to the club…

Yes it’s prtty normal if you run Skype all the time.

If you search these forums you’ll find that the traffic indicator refreshes very slowly so it’s not that accurate in any case.

If you search these forums and the web you’ll find that Skype is known to be a pain in the nether regions in the way that it operates and it’s also very difficult to tame.

I have the following application rules set for Skype (which I found elsewhere on these forums):

Allow TCP out from MAC any to MAC any where source port is in [1025 - 65535] and destination port is 443
Allow UDP in from MAC any to MAC any where source port is in [1025 - 65535] and destination port is [whatever port Skype uses for you]
Block IP In/Out from MAC any to MAC any where protocol is any

I also have “Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives” unchecked in the Skype settings.

Hope that helps some…

I still get lots of Skype traffic (sometimes 100%) but at least I have some control over what that traffic is.