Since installing CPF, problems reconnecting to internet

When I turn off my internet connection temporarily, whether by right-clicking the DSL icon and clicking “Disconnect”, physically unplugging my (DSL) modem, or even clicking “BLock All” on CPF, and then I try to reconnect to the internet, I am unable to do so, unless I completely rebooting the computer.

Sometimes when I try to reconnect I get an error message reading “TCP/IP CP reported error 31: a device attached to the system is not functioning”; other times (usually after I try reconnecting) I don’t get such a message, but when I check the internet connection icon I notice that there’s no activity there, and I get a message "Firefox Can’t FInd the Server at [Specified URL].

I never had such problems using other firewalls; any ideas?

Do you have any other firewalls installed but disabled?

No, I did a complete uninstall on my previous FW (Jetico) and rebooted before installing CPF.

I also have had to log off and on, or reboot, to restore internet connect after blocking something.

Its as if Comodo thinks iexplorer, once dirty, cannot be cleaned by closing and restarting things.

It should be asking about a parent application perhabs?

Closing and restarting IE’s parent (Explorer) in Taskman did not restore browser function.

This loss of browser function is not consistent. Yesterday, with the 5 WallBreaker tests, I just had to close and restart IE to restore browser function everytime. Today, I had no browser function after booting and had to reboot.

Perhaps CPF is blocking my network connection after detecting “suspicious activity” in either “Application Monitor” or “Network Monitor”. Perhaps my so called “inconsistant behavior” is actually differences in the cause of the blocking onset.

To restore browser function:

(1) It seems that sometimes when I have waited long enough, the browser works again.
(2) Sometimes closing and reopening the browser seems to work but not always.
(3) Sometimes switching CPF to “Allow all”, then back to “Custom” seems to work.
(4) Rebooting (or perhaps just logging off and on?) will normally work (but I had at least one case of the network connection being blocked after boot, and had to boot again).

In a scenario such as this, it would also be good to do the following…

1. Make sure you have all the updates for your OS. SP1 is required to run Comodo I believe but SP2 will work much better.

2. Make sure you are ABSOLUTELY free from spyware and viruses before installing a security application.

3. Make sure you arent’ conflicting with other things on your computer. Some have other programs installed that may cause grief for a firewall like Limewire, bit torrent baddies that hide in the registry, things like that or a number of others.

4. Make sure you didn’t block svchost or another needed process that will affect your pc in different ways.

5. Make sure you ISP isn’t using a built in firewall, this will and can be an issue.

6. Make sure Windows XP firewall is set to off, and go to advanced connections and make sure LAN is “Unchecked” as Windows will monitor this by default even when set to off.

7. Make sure your hard drive is cleaned up, defragmented, running smoothly as possible.

8. If you are behind a router, you may have to set your Nat\ etc… configuration.

9. Check other security apps , disable at startup and see if one may be conflicting with Comodo.

10. Uninstall Comodo CPF thoroughly, reinstall and set to autoconfiguration and see how it works, then adjust the settings as needed.

11. Make sure the comodofirewall.exe installer file is on the same partition as your OS.

Just a few mentions, make sure your browsers are up to date, and some toolbars like Google , Yahoo, etc…have had conflicts with programs as well. Go into IE properties and make sure your browser settings are correct, or reset them to default and see if this helps. Some cases may be a faulty NIC card and will throw your connection and firewall off a bit and work erratically.

These are some basic things to check , not saying a rule of thumb, but they have worked for others.

Cheers,

Paul

I recently did an experiment, which revealed the cause of the problem (which persists ever now, with the release version of CPF): I uninstalled Kaspersky Antivirus, and then re-installed CPF, and had no problems; only after I re-installed KAV did I have this problem (even w/o the Proactive Defense of KAV enabled).

Any ideas about how to solve this?

Only notice if CPF is not loaded itself, the Internet connection is severed.
It does not load when the tray icon is loaded.
So I made a shortcut to cpf in the startup folder.
Works fine.
but should not have to load cpf, it should load automatically when Comodo Tray loads.
(Tray) Note it doesn’t load automatically when installed.
It did before this latest release update.
Yes I was clean of all spyware - PC was checked with Mcafee, then uninstalled.
First thing that was ever installed on this PC was COMODO
PC came with Mcafee.

(B)

Greetings,
This goes for all those having Issues with Kaspersky Antivirus(KAV) & COMODO Personal Firewall(CPF)

Navigate to the following

1. Right-click Kaspersky AV icon in system tray. In the shortcut menu select Settings.
  • Click Protection - Trusted Zone.
  • Click Exclusions Masks tab - Add. Make sure the ‘Object’ option is cheked.
  • By the Object name click ‘Specify’.
  • Browse to the Outpost folder (by default C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall) and checkmark the option “Include subfolders”.
  • By the Checking task click Selected.
    The line should look this way:

The object will not be scanned if the following conditions are met:
Object name: C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall
Checking task: any task

• Save your settings by clicking OK 3 times.
  1. Click Protection - Trusted Zone.
  • Click Trusted Application tab - ‘Add’ & ‘Browse’ to the C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall folder and select
    cpf.exe & cmdagent.exe

• “Properties:” -and select
    “Do not scan open files” - " Do not control application activity" - “Do not scan network traffic”

• Save your settings by clicking OK 3 times.

1. Right-click CPF icon in system tray(Open). In the shortcut menu select ‘Settings’.
  • Application - Monitor - +Add

• Application/Parent Application - select “Learn the parent”

• Browse to the KAV folder(C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0) and select ‘avp.exe’ so, at the end you should have this: C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0\avp.exe

Now the Rules!
    General:
    Action: Allow
    Protocol: TCP or UDP
    Direction: In/Out
    Destination IP: Any
    Destination Port: Any
    Miscellaneous: Nothing

Now… that should do it! “Reboot” -and you’re done.

Thanks,
rki.

I tried this, and unfortunately it didn’t work.

I would like to stress: until I manually disconnect from the internet, everything works fine; it’s only when I try to reconnect that I can’t establish a connection w/o rebooting.

Greetings,

• Are you sure you’re running Kaspersky AntiVirus(KAV) -OR- Kaspersky Internet Security(KIS)

• If you’re running KIS? then that should explain it, because it does come with a firewall. And 2 Firewalls don’t mix together.

• But, assuming you’re running KAV? Are you sure you deleted an Rules on the Application Monitor to Kaspersky(avp.exe) first? If not? delete it and when avp.exe is trying to connect to the Internet you should get a pop-up from CPF.

• Then, assuming you’re still running KAV and all this didn’t work? then please take a screen shot of your Network Rules and let’s see what you’ve got + copy/paste your logs to see what CPF is really blocking(on assumption this has to do with CPF).

Thanks,
rki.

1. I’m running KAV, not KIS.

2. I deleted Avp.exe, and I got a popup when it wanted to connect to the Net.

3. With Comodo installed, I was unable to send mail (although I was able to download it) or to post to this forum!.

4. Please see the attached material (screenshot + log).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Greetings,

Bad /corupted file. Re-attach screenshot with a .jpg and logs as .txt

Thanks,
rki.

Here are the files again - hope they come through OK this time!

Sorry I didn’t get the other attachments thru on my previous post - here they are!

Thanks again for your help, rki!

Greetings,
hrm…why won’t your CPF load automatically from startup? There’s no need to manually make a startup shortcut for it.

• We should start looking at the problem from there(CPF not booting up)

Delete your manually created shortcut for CPF & Check and make sure you have this option OFF.
Navigate “Security - Advance - Advance Detection and Protection - Configure - Miscellaneous”
“Block all Outgoing traffic while booting” = OFF

• Now assuming you have that option not marked? I’d suggest uninstalling CPF and make a clean start by running ccleaner & a registry cleaner

• Now, Please do that and having that being solved(CPF does start on bootup), then see if you still have the KAV issues again.

• It’s easier diagnosing problems from their ‘root’/‘source’ before moving further

Thanks,
rki.

I would like to let everyone know that I’m having the same type of problem and the KAS and CPF settings in this thread did not help.

System: WinXP SP2
Comodo PF 2.3.6.81
Kaspersky AV 6.0
Internet Connection: Cable Modem.

The specific problem I have is that since installing CPF, whenever I disconnect from a PPTP connection to my employers intranet, I loose all network connectivity on my computer. No traffic will flow in or out of my computer at this point. It’s as if the network card totally dies after disconnecting from the VPN. The only solution is to uninstall CPF.

I tried the most recent CPF build just for the fun of it, and this problem did NOT recur.

However, I encountered another problem (which has been discussed elsewhere in this forum) - periodic “freezing” of the computer, as a result of which I had to perform a manual restart (I couldn’t move the mouse pointer or use any of my programs) - so I had to reinstall this most recent CPF build as well.