Signature updates

I run a computer business and for those that do not wish to buy Norton or McAfee, I have and will always recommend CIS free.

My question is why does it take so long to update the signature database?

I mean it scans and downloads the signatures in an instant but lags up to 5 minutes to install the signatures.

Norton downloads and installs the updates in less than 20 seconds and my wife has CIS on her computer and it does exactly the same thing where it lags forever.

Surely it shouldn’t take soooo long to update the signatures but it does…why?

Cheers.

It should not take 5 min (Over-exaggerated ???). It takes max 1 min to install sigs. :slight_smile:

Also that’s how the CAV operates as with every other AV it will operate differently due to the AV engine architecture design.

On older hardware a big update like the initial av update can take long.

As always make sure there are no leftovers of security programs you had installed in the past. A possible left over can cause all sort of “strange effects”. Please run clean up tools for all security programs you had in the past. A list can be found here at the Eset website: ESET Knowledgebase .

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the link EricJH. :-TU

As for you Seany007, what gives you the right to say it was over-exaggerated? Why the hell do you think I am asking for assistance! I will make a note never to take your advice because you haven’t given any yet.

I don’t want to sound rude but when people reply giving no advice whatsoever, why bother replying?

Thanks anyway and I will look into it further.

Have a nice day everyone. :slight_smile:

This is probably not my place to reply however I’d just like to point out that Seany used the ??? emote which makes me think that he was asking rather than implying, just wanted to point that out.

On my underpowered Atom based EEE PC notebook the av update is a strain on both XP and Windows 8 that run on it. Even a small update takes more than a minute… :-\

For me the actual downloading of the updates are quick, but after the downloading it takes a rather long while until it’s done, I haven’t measured it but I will when I get time, it’s not five minutes for me or even close to that but one minute doesn’t seem too far off. I wonder why it takes so long for CIS to ‘set things up’ or what you would call it?

My Netbook has 2 GB of DDR2 RAM. My desktop has 4 GB of DDR 3 RAM.

The difference between the two machines seems too big to be explained by RAM family only. Hard drive(s) on my desktop are newer but that difference is only so big (they are all mechanical drives) so I guess that processor power is the biggest influence.

The above is not even close to systematic but it is what my “carpenter’s eye”, as we would say in Dutch, estimates.