Sick and tired of updater in 3.x

Comodo 2.x ran fine on my Dell Latitude D620 with Windows XP SP2. No problems… configurations stayed there and everything basically worked as expected - especially the network firewall.

Comodo Personal Firewall 3.x versions all had minor and major glitches, bugs and inconveniences. After reboot, sometimes I get a permission popup saying that some files were not found, and Comodo PFW would not start properly. Since 3.0.15.x, the firewall says “the network firewall does not operate properly”, but diagnostics runs through fine. However, whether I am able to start Firefox is a matter of luck. IE seems to start fine, however, this evilware is not my favourite browser.

Updates are nice but usually don’t run through without several reboots, i.e., two or three after the installation of the update should have completed… this is annoying.

Even more annoying is the fact that my configuration seems to make it fine from version to version, however, some features don’t seem to work anymore. I had a rule for Firefox as a trusted application… it went away with the latest update. I had some Defense+ rules… they went away along the upgrade path from earlier versions of 3.x. Ugly!

Deinstallation and re-installation seem to work in most cases, however, there were also problems if I attempted to import configurations from the previous version.

Comodo PFW has become unmanageable. I do hope that 3.1 is just around the corner, and that it will fix these numerous issues in a reliable and consistent way. Otherwise, it will be bye-bye Comodo and I’ll use a less powerful but at least stable and reliable firewall in the future.

My rating of Comodo PFW 3.x so far: :-TU for features, :-TD for manageability, and :-TD for robustness.

Cheers,
–gandalf.