Shutting down CPF while I don't intend to do that

Hello all,

Running 2.3.3.33 beta on XP SP 2
In my systray is only the CPF-icon. When I doubleclick on it, the CPF-screen opens. So far so good.
Very often I want to scroll down. When I doubleclick and start scrolling down immediately with my mouse-scrollwheel, the setting of CPF changes from Custom to Allow all. It only happens when I start scrolling really immediately.
If Security Center didn’t give me a warning, I probably wouldn’t have noticed it.
Of course I can take a tranquilizer to start scrolling less fast, but I think it should be solved on another way.

Regards
Peter Zwitser

Hi,

I’ve just tried to recreate what happens, but am unable to do so. I’m not sure why.

Mike

Running XP pro with current updates.

I tried to recreate this using my mouse scroll wheel also, still set to custom.

I don’t double click to activate the scroll wheel mine is set to just click the scroll wheel.

Not sure if this is helpful but I thought I’d post what I did.

Thanks again for a great f/w ;D

Update: just tried something else, clicking the scroll wheel on the switch for allow all, etc then tried scrolling - and I could change the setting using the scroll wheel. Clicking the scroll wheel again in the box with custom in the title I was then unable to change the settings using the scroll.

Note it only turns off clicking in the box with custom in the title.

Mike

After reading the reactions I’m starting to doubt a bit if it’s really going the way I think.
I’m using an old mouse with a wire, two buttons and a scroll wheel.
I’m absolutely sure I don’t click on the wrong place.
And I’m almost sure (I thought I was absolutely sure ???) it only happens when I already know I have to scroll down, so I start to turn the wheel really fast.
But I have trouble to duplicate it myself at the moment. So I’m starting to doubt a bit. Or maybe it’s some kind of exotic combination and it only happens sometimes.
Anyway: I’m absolutely sure one way or another CPF gets turned off without clicking, so without really choosing to disable it. And there’s no way to notice that, as far as I know, except the warning from Windows Security Center.
Since it happens about once every two days, I’m going to try to really watch what’s happening.

Peter

Hello,

Finally I can replicate this! It’s still there in 2.3.5.62
When I reboot everything’s okay.
I doubleclick on the cpf-icon in systray (don’t run launchpad).
The window Summary opens.
When I scroll with my mousewheel, even just one click, the status of cpf changes to block all or allow all.
If I open another window in cpf and go back to Summary, the scrollwheel doesn’t work anymore. It only changes status the very first time I open cpf, and the very first time I come in Summary, so I think this really is a bug.

Peter

Same here. Very odd!??!

ewen :slight_smile:

Ah, so it’s not some exotic conflict on my machine!

Hi,

I’m still able to produce it, but I found you can stop it. Click inside the ‘custom’(see highlighted section of screenshot) box quickly two times, and you are then unable to change the setting with the scroll wheel.

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hey Mike,
Great work Sherlock, but I’ve got to ask, how did you stumble onto that?

ewen :slight_smile:

Hi,

It was really by accident. I knew you can sometimes disable the scroll wheel and activate it by clicking it in an application window, so I tried it with CPF - but it only sometimes worked. I then realised it was only working when clicking in the ‘custom’ area of the box in CPF. :wink:

What I don’t understand is why it only works on this area.

Mike

Hi,

But after rebooting the problem is there again. And when you’ve turned of Windows Security Center, like a lot of people do, there’s no way to say cpf is allowing everything.

Peter

Hi,

After booting I opened cpf by doubleclicking on the icon in systray.
After the cpf-window opened I clicked on Application Monitor, so the Application Control Rules opened.
I then started scrolling, using my scrollwheel. Instead of scrolling through the Control Rules window, I turned off cpf (it was set to Allow All).
This is the first time this happened in Application Monotor, and I can’t replicate it.

Since I was working real slow, I’m absolutely sure this is exactly what happened.

But I really think the scrollwheel should be disabled af far as concerning Allow/Block all.
Just an idea: some people loose internet-connection after installing cpf. Maybe some of them set it on “block all” this way, without knowing it?

Peter

Hi,
Updated to 2.3.6.81, and it’s still there.
If it were not for Security Center’s warning, I had no warning at all while CPF allows all traffic…

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes with an “if”, no with a “but”. The problem is still there, but it has changed slightly in nature.

When you open the CPF GUI window, the small panel in the interface that holds the slider for the security level automatically has the focus. If you click in any other panel, the security level panel loses focus and you can safely use the scroll wheel. But … the scroll wheel can only be used to change the security level if you haven’t clicked anywhere else first. If you click anywhere else, you can only change the security level by means other than the scroll wheel.

Can you please enter this on the wish list for the CPF GUI not to automatically grant the focus to the security level slider?

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Ewen,
I’ll put it on the wishlist.
As far as I can see what you describe is exactly what I described :slight_smile:
Well, doesn’t matter, as long as it gets fixed.

Peter