Show All Options For The Firewall Rule When Editing A Firewall Rule [M1076]

1. What version of CIS, or Comodo Firewall, are you currently using:

2. What actually happened or you saw:

When editing a Firewall Rule, various components that make up the rule are hidden.

When editing Source Address, I cannot see Source Port, Destination Address, or Destination Port. And so on.

A screenshot of what this currently looks like is provided below: ( Log in to view image )

3. What you wanted to happen or see:

I want to be able to see the entirety of the firewall rule when I am editing and creating it.

A screenshot of what I would like this to look like is provided below: ( Log in to view image )

4. Why you think it is desirable:

It is desirable because it reduces interaction cost on several levels:

1. It reduces cognitive overhead. This is a huge deal for repetitive tasks. The user should not be expected to have to keep in their head three quarters of the task at hand, even if it’s a small task.

2. It reduces the number of clicks required to review, edit, and create fire wall rules.

3. It provides an immediate lay-of-the-land.

4. Grouping address and port provides a intuitive visual cue that is currently lacking. Visual cues are important for speeding up a users reaction to a gui and may even allow the user to effectively skim text, rather than memorize an arbitrary sequence of tabs.

5. Any other information:

The current format for this window forces the user into a pseudo-procedural wizard-like experience. Despite this, it provides no actual guidance, so is of no benefit to the novice. While because of this, it increases interaction cost, and is of no benefit to the expert.

In addition to the major stuff, the image I’ve provided also resolves the following minor issues, mainly because I didn’t want to post an image which perpetuated them…

• Inconsistent chrome padding between window contents and ok/cancel buttons.
  • Inconsistent padding between chrome and content.
  • Inconsistent padding between tabs and text.
  • Inconsistent vertical padding between text in fields and text in field titles.
  • Inconsistent vertical padding between fields.
  • Inconsistent vertical alignment between port-related fields.
  • Inconsistent field height.
  • Inconsistent border color on fields.
  • Inconsistent border color between field and widget.
  • Inconsistent border color between fields and fields with widgets.
  • Inconsistent border color on active tab content and active tab.
  • Extra pixel of padding on up/down widget in port-related field.
  • Description field is artificially short.
  • No semicolon on “Description” field title.
  • No “apply” button.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This seems like a good wish. Could you add a screenshot of what the Firewall Rules window currently looks like? I think that will help users to better understand the advantages, and therefore vote accordingly.

Thanks.

Updated!

Thanks

Thanks. I have edited the first post slightly, made small changes to the title, and added a poll. Please let me know if everything looks correct to you. If there are no more changes I will forward this to the Waiting Area for voting.

Thank you.

Looks great! Thank you for the assistance.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

I would like to thank everyone who has voted on this particular enhancement. As this wish has accumulated the necessary 15 points I have added this to the tracker for consideration by the devs. However, do note that even though this wish will be considered by the devs, it does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented. I will update this topic when I have any additional information.

Thank you.

+1 Very good idea :-TU :-TU :-TU