Should Obama Control the Internet?

Should Obama Control the Internet?

What do you think?

(BTW, I posted it in the “General Security Questions…” board because the bill could also grant the Secretary of Commerce “access to all relevant data concerning [critical] networks without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule, or policy restricting such access.”

This post seems to be a security/privacy comment.)

I don’t think any one person or entity should control internet.

Taking that point and extend it, if i may pls:

The whole point of connectedness is to remove the reliance on a central arbitrator, allowing information to flow between nodes rather than going thru centrally.

Here is an interesting question: Will we need to send people who represent our constituency in future? We will have enough connectedness so that we can make the decisions ourselves without sending people to represent us and make decisions on our behalf. How will we govern ourselves in future? Will it be self governing being?

Melih

I don’t see that, Melih. I think there will always be some governing body. But, that is politics, and does not belong on this board, imo.

What part doesn’t belong on this forum? Talk about a “governing body”? Or talk about someone controlling the internet? Or both?

I thought that discussions about the internet and computers were allowed here. But it is hard to tell when they overlap…

Politics. Just my opinion, Jeremy.

A law basically saying, “this makes legal actions that would be illegal according to other laws and the Constitution”?! Well I admit I’m not a lawyer but… WTH

"We must protect our critical infrastructure at all costs—from our water to our electricity, to banking, traffic lights and electronic health records—the list goes on," Rockefeller said in a statement. Snowe echoed her colleague, saying, "if we fail to take swift action, we, regrettably, risk a cyber-Katrina."

Gosh that sounded so LOONY! :o

I think all this “Conficker jazz” has confuzzled 'em a bit. 88)

Interesting vision BTW :THNK …

thank you!

I think connectedness will change a lot of things! That’s why I am doing my best to secure it so that human race can benefit from this.

Melih

Too bad nobody now alive will probably live long enough to see that world, even if it comes eventually. :frowning: (And there would be great resistance, it will only happen if it’s inevitable, I’m afraid.)

Well, I’m already enjoying my share of connectedness, doing things everyday that would be unthinkable two decades ago. :slight_smile:

Well I don’t think Obama should 88) ;
but I do think the US should, since they invented it :slight_smile:
http://www.tech-faq.com/who-invented-internet.shtml

just my opinion

Duh… And the little necessary centralized regulation that the Internet itself needs, or at any rate has currently, is already in the US. (Content restrictions in certain countries do not count, since they don’t affect the operation in the rest of the world.)

But the point is, do you want the Internet more controlled than now? Regardless of who would have that power?

He can’t control it

But ECHELON can control it. ;D

Only following countries can control ECHELON system.

1st Community: USA, England
2nd Community: Australia, Canada, New Zealand
3rd Community: Korea(south korea),NATO, Turkey, japan