ShieldsUP does not show any ports in stealth [RESOLVED]

Hi
I am a relatively new to Comodo and have chosen to use the Stealth Port Wizard and the third option ‘Block all incoming connections stealth my ports to everyone’ and after pressing ‘finish’ I get the ‘Your firewall has been configured accordingly’. However, if I then try and test this using e.g. Shields Up and testing ‘All service ports’ I get three red ‘open’ ones and the rest closed but none is stealth. I am missing or doing something wrong or is there something really wrong?
Thanks

G’day,

If you connect to the internet through a router or a modem/router, then ShieldsUp will report the port status of the router (or modem/router), not the port status of your PC.

When ShieldsUp begins a test, it send s a series of packets to the public IP address currently assigned to your connection. This public IP address is generally assigned to your router or router/modem. When your router or modem/router receives the packets from the ShieldsUp site, it responds accordingly. These are the results you see when the results page is sent back to your PC.

Think if it this way;

Initial Request (You request a ShieldsUp test on your public IP address)
YOUR PC → ROUTER → ISP → INTERNET → SHIELDSUP WEBSITE

ShieldsUp Response (ShieldsUp sends the test packets back to your public address)
SHIELDSUP WEBSITE → INTERNET → ISP → ROUTER

Router Responds (ShieldsUp asked - your router answered)
ROUTER → ISP → INTERNET → SHIELDSUP WEBSITE

ShieldsUp reports (ShieldsUp aggregates all responses and sends the report back to you)
SHIELDSUP WEBSITE → INTERNET → ISP → ROUTER → YOUR PC

Unless you have forwarded all the ports that ShieldsUp tests to your PC, then it will never actually test your PC if you are behind a router or a modem/router.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Panic!

Thanks a lot, that helped, so all is good :slight_smile:

Best,
Klaus

NP :slight_smile:

I’ll lock this topic now. If you need it reopened please PM an online mod.

Ewen :slight_smile: