Shellcode injection Buffer overflow warning

I bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 and when I try to play it I get a warning from Comodo about a Shellcode Injection typical of Buffer Overflow attack. I chose to skip the warning and the game plays fine. Do I really need to contact EA and see whats up? Or how do most gamers handle this situation? The game plays fine…
Thanks,
DB

You could contact EA but it’s fine just by skipping the warning

EA needs to learn how to program so they don’t give this warning. Only bad programming gives these warnings.

you can always add the game to the exclusion list for now:
Exclude the program from buffer overflow protection by adding it to Defense plus ~ Defense plus settings ~ image execution control ~ exclusions

like starcraft 2? world of warcraft?

what’s with deamon tools lite? the program give the same warning as Battlefield Bad Company2

Thanks everybody for your help. I added it to the exclusion list for now. If that isn’t a great idea let me know. ;D
DB

Seems like COD original had some issues with ATI drivers and buffer overflow errors on updated drivers recently too and it was blamed on poor programming practices…

It’s not just EA, you have Blizzard, the people behind Daemon Tools and Alcohol, Logitech… all of them prove to give some type of error with Comodo (whether its a shellcode injection error or Access Memory). This is like wishing that every web developer out there codes 100% perfect HTML so it complies perfectly with the standards.

Microsoft realizes that and adjusts IE to the reality of having to interpret code that is sometimes wrongly coded. FF is more strict in that matter. Which is why we have pages that still look different in one browser than the other.

Comodo is imho not ready yet for the common user. It expects too much of a perfect computing environment, with no cracked software, no bad coded programs, etc; which causes too many issues for the user to handle. :frowning:

all they need to so is to adjust their program so that it does not access memory in such a way that it causes a buffer over flow problem. Might it be harder for them to do it, maybe but all that means is that they took the easy way out when programming instead of programming the code properly.

Also I have never had a buffer over flow with logitech before.

I tried adding the BC2 program to the exclusions list as per the instructions in the post a few above this one and I still get the warning and have to skip to play…So I removed it from the exclusion list. Is there anything special I need to do to allow the exclusion to let the game play?
Thanks,
DB

Logitech produces not a buffer overflow, but an access memory error (I mentioned the 2 common problems I have experienced with applications and CIS). This is fixed by putting the SetPoint app in the Interprocess Memory exclusions for CIS, in Defense+ Computer Policies.

Once again, I think Comodo expects that the environments where you execute CIS to be perfect. That’s not the case. You don’t normally use CIS in a flat out empty OS in a virtualized test bed. You thow it out and install it into normal computer environments, where you will find less than perfect conditions and a mix of hardware settings and programs.

CIS needs to better deal with these issues, and not just send the message that it is a problem for every programmer out there to fix their programs, so they don’t make Comodo jump with errors. Especially when this happens with software of common use.

Did you use Game Mode? I was able to play BC2 when I added it to exclusions list and turned on Game Mode.

I played BC 2 with CIS 5.0 RC 2 and now since the release and never had this buffer overflow pop up. It’s really strange. MY bc2 was scanned online and found safe and that’s it, no problems. So it’s strange that your triggers this notification ???

How do I use Game Mode? Never heard of it…I just updated to version 5.x yesterday…and it seems like Comodo is even worse at opening this game. I tried a bunch of times and finally I got the warning to allow or skip.
Thanks,
DB

I just upgraded to version 5.x yesterday as I wasn’t aware of it as my 4.x updater said I was up to date. My version of BC2 was installed and updated with the version checker at game start up. Where did you scan the game? VirusTotal?
Thanks,
DB

When you right click the taskbar icon for CIS 5.0, you see a “Game mode” option which you can check(to activate) and uncheck (to deactivate). Remember to deactivate Game mode after your gaming session, as it basically lowers down some of your defenses (Firewall and some other module I can’t remember). I was able to run BC2 after adding it to D+ exclusions and using Game mode.

Hope that works for you.

So thats where they hid the Game Mode switch. :wink: I will try again to add to exclusions and then switch to game mode. The only thing I could find by reading the help was to switch the mode to training mode amd that was supposed to be the same as game mode…??

Thanks,
DB

I honestly don’t know about the difference between game mode and training mode, if any. Someone from Comodo could point you out in a better direction. Meanwhile I’d try Game mode, it should help you.

Since I installed version 5 of Comodo I have a hard time getting the game to even start after the updater checks online the game never loads. If I use Game Mode it never starts but if I leave it off and try about 5 times then the game finally loads after then I get the warning about the shellcode injection error and I skip.
DB

Add the offending executable to the Exceptions of Execution Control Settings.

I have. It still doesn’t work right. I find if I have it excluded and added to my safe files AND have Game Mode set it won’t open. If I shut off Game Mode and deselect the CHECK FOR BUFFER OVERFLOW in the Execution Control Settings it works the best.
DB