Shared printer problem [Resolved]

A computer with CPF has a shared printer and can be seen as part of the Workgroup from another computer on the same home network; it can be ping’ed too.
The other computer can’t access the computer with CPF (neither its printer nor anything else) while CPF is in Custom level.
It can access and use the printer normally with Allow All level (a logon window appears so the remote user can enter its name and password on the computer with a printer).

The computer which wants to user the printer has its own rule:
ALLOW TCP or UDP IN or OUT FROM IP NAME : [kids] - 192.168.0.104 - 192.168.0.104 TO IP [Any] WHERE SOURCE PORT IS [Any] AND REMOTE PORT IS [Any]

No indication that a computer is trying to access when the remote computer tries, although Create an alert if this rule is fired is set.
Added a similar rule without the name, stating only the IP, also with Create an alert… set - to no avail.

What may be wrong?

Unless you have a wireless router (with wireless enabled), your rules with Zones set to single PC’s is going to multiply the total number of rules you will need quite a bit; because there are alot combinations that would need to accounted for.

So if you are on a wired Lan (or wireless disabled) start by making one LAN-wide Zone and then adding Network Rules for this Zone will need alot less TLC. Then, if you can make 4 Network Rules that look like my Rule IDs 0, 1, 2, & 6 (which I know the Beta version can do with a wizard), you will be at a very happy starting point.

The other thing i can suggest is making sure “Secure Host while booting” is disabled… as this effectively hides you PC from the rest of the LAN. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps. Post back your results, or any addition questions.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks. It’s working.

Incidentally, why do you have Rule 0?
Rule 2 has a broader scope that already encompasses Rule 0, doesn’t it?

Correct, but splitting them allows me to edit them to be “Allow & Log”, and see the difference in the posted logs entries… internal vs external activity I generated.