Shared Access?

Hi

Not on a network… no sharing … just LAN adapter-ethernet cable-NAT router (DHCP for standalone pc…standard non-routable IP assignment).

Found this key in registry: ???

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\ StandaloneDhcpAddress [REG_SZ]“192.168.173.1”
Scopeaddress [REG_SZ]“192.168.137.1”
Scopeaddressbackup [REG_SZ]“192.168.137.1”

This key seems to be about ICS? But why would I have/need these LAN IP addresses under “Shared access” if I don’t use/want ICS? Not me or my router. Can I delete? >:(

One thing I know for sure this key does not belong the CIS. May be it belongs to Windows Firewall rules.

This is the Internet Connection Sharing service. The registry key defines the default parameters for the service. The service is usually set to manual, but if you’re not using ICS, disabling the service will not hurt. The ip addresses defined are standard rfc 1918 addresses and are non-routable Internet addresses, so leaving the key in place shouldn’t present a danger.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of removing registry keys, as doing so may introduce instability, also, this service, at least under XP, was integral to the firewall service and removal of the key caused numerous problems. However, if you feel the need, export the key and either rename the existing key or remove it. Reboot and observer the effects.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I am with Radaghast on not deleting those registry keys. Make sure the Startup type of the service is set to manual or disabled.

Gentlemen and scholars :-TU