sfi.dat delete

Hi,
I don’t know if this is the right place for this question but I wiil give it a try.

Without really knowing it I had a program called Roxio Back on track, it automatically generated recovery files. I found out when my hard drive was full… The program is now uninstalled but the files are still there, when I try to delete them it is not possible because a program is using the file.

The file that is the problem is the sfi.dat and what I have read it belongs to CIS somehow, how can I delete these files (about 290)?

/Daniel

You should NOT delete this file if you are using Comodo to protect you.

If you have uninstalled Comodo then you could use the clean-up tool listed under Important Topics (which is above these Normal Topics).

Alan

Hi,
No, I will not delete the sfi files that is located under C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers but now I have about 292 sfi files located in subfolders under a folder called C:\System Rollback Data\Restore\Archive\00000025\00000001

I guess that CIS is not using all of them? Roxio have created recovery points and for every recovery point there is a sfi file. The files are associated to CIS and could therefore not be removed.

The questions is how to remove these recovery point files?

/Daniel

What cannot be deleted in normal mode may possibly be deleted when booted into SAFE mode.

SFI.DAT is an important file when in the correct folder, and Comodo “self protects” its files.
I am not aware of any need to protect any copy of SFI.DAT that ROXIO makes,
but I would have expected any archiving utility to put its copies on a different physical HDD,
and having special files on the system partition could cause unexpected effects.

It is IN THEORY JUST possible that Comodo is still protecting them even though they are no longer in use,
in which case disabling self-protection may allow you to delete them, but how to do that depends upon the version of Comodo, and also perhaps the O.S.

It is far more likely that Comodo has modified Access Control Lists and Permissions so that even if Comodo’s executables do not start-up the files remain protected by Windows. It is very probable that ROXIO is responsible for archiving the files and ALSO all the security/permission restrictions so that Windows will now protect even if Comodo is uninstalled and has removed protection from the only SFI.DAT which it knows about.

Your problems should vanish if you remove "C:\System Rollback Data"
Try deleting in SAFE MODE;
Try using CACLS first to set the Access Control List in your favour (“CACLS /?” or Google give clues how)
Download and use a File Unlocker, e.g.

If you need any further advice then :-

You need to state COMPLETELY what operating system you have.
By COMPLETELY I mean not just XP, but XP Home or XP Pro,
or if Vista or Win7 whatever the edition that might be,
and Service Pack level could also be relevant, e.g. SP3

You also need to state the complete version number of Comodo as of now,
and also any previous versions that may have been in use when of the the Roxio copies were made.

Regards
Alan