settings don't "hold" after reboot

I originally came here looking for help on how to force a stealth ports. I read (a lot!) in the forum, and finding what I thought was the answer opened CIS to work along with the forum help. That’s when I saw that whatever I checked/changed in CIS an hour ago had reverted back to their original settings :cry: I changed the following two settings (again) as a test and rebooted. Again my changes had “disappeared”. Just to humour myself I went through the process once more with the same results :frowning:

firewall → advanced → firewall behavior settings → alert settings : “this computer is an internet connection gateway” goes from unchecked back to checked after a reboot
firewall → common tasks → stealth ports wizard : “block all incoming connections / stealth my ports to everyone” goes from checked back to unchecked (“define a new trusted network” is now checked) after a reboot

I’m logged in as administrator on my Vista Home Premium-64 SPII machine with UAC turned off. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum RxTech.

The Interface for Stealth Ports Wizard always defaults to the first option, even after you have chosen something else. Post a screen shot of your Global rules and we can confirm, or not, if you have successfully stealthed your ports.

The Connection gateway problem may be due to your configuration. Please provide some additional details.

Are there other settings that change, if so, please provide details.

Do the ICS setting change back even if you don’t reboot but manually close CIS by right clicking on CIS shield tray icon > Exit?

After CIS is terminated it can be launched again without rebooting to confirm if ICS setting changes were preserved.

The stealth wizard is meant to apply some rules to Network security policies.
In case of “block all incoming connections / stealth my ports to everyone” the rule is that “Block and Log IP In From IP Any to IP Any Where Protocol Is Any” in global rules tab.

I unchecked: firewall → advanced → firewall behavior settings → alert settings : “this computer is an internet connection gateway”
and reselected: firewall → common tasks → stealth ports wizard : “block all incoming connections / stealth my ports to everyone” (got the message that setting were applied/saved)

I then shut down CIS as you instructed. ICS remains unchecked. Stealth ports brings up the window (wizard). I just had a doh moment, but does the wizard coming up give me the option to change current settings rather than saying I’m not in stealth mode?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Stealth wizard combo options throw off quite a number of users as the previously selected options do not stick even though the corresponding rules are created successfully.

Guess developers didn’t find an alternate GUI to represent the purpose of the wizard as in this case the combo boxes are only meant to choose one of the alternate rule set that is going to be created whereas usually combo boxes are featured in settings panels in order to represent and change the current state of an option.

As for the ICS setting, it should be remembered even after a reboot and the issue you are experiencing could be caused by CIS being terminated/crashed during reboot thus corrupting its settings.

Is that ICS issue always reproducible or it happens from time to time?