Serious Threat to the Web in Italy

Serious Threat to the Web in Italy

In late 2006, students at a school in Turin, Italy filmed and then uploaded a video to Google Video that showed them bullying an autistic schoolmate. The video was totally reprehensible and we took it down within hours of being notified by the Italian police. We also worked with the local police to help identify the person responsible for uploading it and she was subsequently sentenced to 10 months community service by a court in Turin, as were several other classmates who were also involved. In these rare but unpleasant cases, that's where our involvement would normally end.

But in this instance, a public prosecutor in Milan decided to indict four Google employees —David Drummond, Arvind Desikan, Peter Fleischer and George Reyes (who left the company in 2008). The charges brought against them were criminal defamation and a failure to comply with the Italian privacy code. To be clear, none of the four Googlers charged had anything to do with this video. They did not appear in it, film it, upload it or review it. None of them know the people involved or were even aware of the video’s existence until after it was removed.

Nevertheless, a judge in Milan today convicted 3 of the 4 defendants — David Drummond, Peter Fleischer and George Reyes — for failure to comply with the Italian privacy code. All 4 were found not guilty of criminal defamation. In essence this ruling means that employees of hosting platforms like Google Video are criminally responsible for content that users upload. We will appeal this astonishing decision because the Google employees on trial had nothing to do with the video in question. Throughout this long process, they have displayed admirable grace and fortitude. It is outrageous that they have been subjected to a trial at all.

[Read more]

Any thoughts?

Yeah, this whole planet is going to Hell in a hand basket. >:( To think that grown people think this way is mind blowing. This is why I stopped watching the news, it makes me sick. >:(

Yeah, I often get upset when I read the news. 88) Although I may get upset somethings others don’t (I’m not related to a monkey 88)).

Ha ha, I know whatcha mean. I saw something on TV the other day about a couple who were raising their kids in an “asexual environment”…ugh. 88)

In another news article discussing this topic, it said this:

Paolo Brini sums it up nicely – “In all of history, nobody ever thought you had to put in jail a postman because a package contained something illegal.”

:stuck_out_tongue:

Sex is a core of life…whether or not it is “used” properly. :wink:

Okay, you have just summed up my entire philosophy of life in one concise statement! I’m sooooo stealing that one. ;D

What a stunning revelation :o I was ignorant till this moment ;D

Sometimes you have to state the obvious. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I keep commenting on this subject I will get us ALL in trouble… :smiley:

A good reason to ban you! 88)

:stuck_out_tongue:

My goal is actually to infiltrate COMODO forum and the mods in particular >:-D. What I’ll do then is still up in the air. Look, I’ve already gotten the last 3 threads I’ve posted on woefully !ot!

It’s a talent! ;D

I notice. >:(

A newcomer comes and totally beats me! 88)

Nah, I wouldn’t say that. You haven’t got time to ■■■■■ the entire forum up do ya?

That’s where I come in. :wink:

You should not have said that… we got our eyes on you… :stuck_out_tongue: :P0l >:-D

Ha, finally they have shifted from me! 88)

We have a list of people we keep our eyes on… your still on it.

Oh…that’s…nice. 88)

I don’t suppose you guys “clean” the list, do you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Here is my list: Comodo Forum

Our list cleans it self…

And that list is too huge…

Our list only includes the people currently on :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey now, they were all in the off-topic section anyway (there goes my forum cred) 88).

At least I’m making an impact. :smiley:

Watasha + LaserWraith + Threads = Offtopic = RUNNN!!

I think there is not only a serious threat in Italy but here, too. :stuck_out_tongue: