Seems like I killed Windows Installer, need help to revive it! [Resolved]

Strange title, yes. But anyways, like we all know, Windows mess up your computer abouut once a month with something fun (BSoD, desktop disappear etc.), and my problem is that I can’t run Windows Installer, I’ve tried to re-install it. The service is set to manual, and I’ve tried to start it manually and then run the installer, but it failed. I have disabled most of the services, but it says that Windows Installer doesn’t require other services, or does it?
Anyone that know how to fix it? It’s really annoying since many softwares use the Windows Installer.

Windows XP PRO 32-bit with Windows Installer 3.1.

Cheers,
Ragwing

According to my computer, :stuck_out_tongue: the Windows Installer service needs RPC (Remote Process Call, or something like that), which is set to automatic for me.

I know. RPC is needed for most of the services, and if you somehow mess it up, Windows will automatically shutdown.
You can’t disable it thru services.msc. RPC is a needed system component, so I have it running :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers,
Ragwing

Rag, not sure what your problem is… but, Dial-a-fix can fix MSI when its broken. Not sure if it will help or not, but maybe it’s worth a try. Also what are you getting in the Windows Event Logs?.. MSI errors usually report something in there. In addition MSI can be broken by an existing half-installed/uninstalled application/component which persistently returns every time MSI is run.

Thanks for your reply kail.
From the Event Log’s Program section I get this:

Event ID: 1015
Unable to connect to the server. Error: 0x800706BA

For the Dial-a-fix, I don’t think it’ll work, as it’ll only re-register the service (which didn’t work when I did it manually in CMD).

Cheers,
Ragwing

OK, check to see if the DCOM Server Process Launcher is disabled. Also don’t forget that DAF can also fix permissions & they can certainly break MSI.

DCOM Server Process Launcher is disabled. DCOM is completely disabled on my mahcine. So I’ll see if it works by enabling DCOM again.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Yeah kail, it was DCOM. Thanks for you help!

Cheers,
Ragwing