Schredule Definition Autoupdate?

Hi, is there a way to manually schedule Comodo Antivirus to do a definition autoupdate? I would like my anitvirus to check for definitions at least twice a day to combat zero day threats. Thanks and keep up the good work!

if you enable the permanent scanner, mark “look for updates” there.
then you should get each 30 minutes a look up for new definitions. but as this updates sometimes take a big performance, i would not suggest to let it update that often.

you can better make a “scan shedule profile”. mark “look for updates before” there, and each time when this profile is executed, an update will be made. as the target file for this scan you can use a small file.
if you make another profile for a time later that day, you will have two updates.

dont forget to disable the “look for updates” in the permanent scanner section. and control, if this procedure here is working.

i wonder all the time, why comodo doesnt have a update setting like others, where you dont need such “tricks” to get usefull and not disturbing update sequences.

dont forget: you are only “protected” from zero day exploits which your antivrus program knows, whatever your update frequence is :wink:

I am bit new to this, so to make sure I am doing this right, I need to…

1. make a “scan profile” tell it scan a tiny file.
  2. make sure “automatically update virus database” is checked under “scheduled scanning” under “virus scanner settings”
  3. go to “scheduled scans” then schedule scan for the “scan profile” created in step one

But you are right though, this is a workaround is not ideal. Also does anybody knows if comodo is left alone, how exactly does Comodo default configuration check for virus updates? And if it is set to update at a certain time, what time is it set and what happens if a computer is not online at that specific time?

well, your description is good :wink: . thats the way.

if you enable “automatic updates” in the guard section (the on access part of the antivirus), then (as i told) every 30 minutes will be an update try. its really unlucky arranged. and by far too often trying… for a resourcehungry action like comodo antivirusupdate.

i am fine with one update a day (btw, this reduces the risk to catch one of these “bad updates”, which happen sometimes among all the antivirus products). i choose the last one of that day then. but with another antivirus.

i am not sure, what happens with the sheduled scans… are they started later then? thats a good question. but really, it annoyed me when the automatic updates came that often. so, mostly i made it manually once a day.
it took never long, until i returned to my old antivirus after testing comodo.
i would say, comodo antivirus is not bad… but there are many much better (free) products out there. comodo antivirus misses some important things and features.
i mean, i dont want to use an antivirus that is made as a third layer of defense… i use an antivirus that is meant to be the first layer. together with an excellent firewall and defense+ from comodo. the result is optimal combinated protection.

To make Comodo autoupdate workaround less resource hungry, I found that under the

Virus Scanner Settings~~~~~>Scheduled Scanning~~~~~>Uncheck “scan memory on start” and “show scanning process” and “scan archive files”

That way it only scans my tiny txt file, and makes the autoupdate unnoticeable except for whatever brief cpu spike that occurs when scanning the txt file and getting updates. Of course doing this effectively neuters “scheduled scanning,” but I never used scheduled scanning in the first place, preferring manual scans of my own time and convenience.

I set autoupdates to check for definitions 3 times a day, the morning, afternoon and the evening and so far so good.

Also what antivirus are you using now? I have tried all the major free antivirus including AVG, Avast, and MSE and AVIRA and they were barely adequate for the job. Was thinking of going back to Kaspersky because it far more effective but then I decided to give the new comer Comodo a shot after hearing and reading good things and now I actually think I prefer Comodo despite it being free.

the update process on its own is resourcehungry enough, not only the “workaround scan”. if you get an update of 20kb, and a minute later another one, … if you load these two updates an hour later, your database will be written 2(!) times in a whole. ca 90mb are written two times, even if you make just one update! because each happening forces one rewriting in comodo. guess what happens if you miss 5 little updates meanwhile… lol

i use avira free edition. it is my first choice always. i dont miss a single thing. i dont know why you dont have good experinces with it.
i am sure, you didnt enabled the expert mode, so you couldnt set the whole possible settings. there is all what is needed, and much more than in comodo settings. and avira scans archives with the guard. what comodo doesnt do.

Actually I did use expert mode. Don’t assume a user isn’t knowledgeable if he has a problem. It wasn’t my computer that was hit, it was my uncles, and I set it up for him only 6 months ago with Avira. I had to use the UBCD4Win CD nuclear option b/c Avira would consistently said it cleaned up everything, but the hijack log and process manager said other wise.

i didnt assume you are not able to enable it :wink: . was just an idea to mention it. in case of. i saw people who didnt noticed this little box to enable it…

about the cleaning, if a virus was activated, its in my eyes already too late. if i find an active virus, i would reinstall the operating system. an antivirus is just a testing feature to know if the program that i want to start is at that moment “known” as a virus, or not.
to minimize the chance of getting a virus as a drive by while browsing, i use firefox inside sandboxIE.

(even) if you buy kaspersky, if an virus slipped through, you can not be sure that everything will be “cleaned”… first of all most probably not the backdoor that might be still open. remember, a virus slipped through, and that is a more static thing than all the changes it could have made :wink:

you should try to make everything in a way that no virus can hit the drive in the first place. i had no virus active in all the time that i use a pc. and 99% of that time i was using avira.

Actually Avira specific problem is that while its detection rate is top notch according to av comparatives, it malware removal leaves much to be desired in contrast to Norton or Kaspersky. There is not wiggle room there, Norton and Kasperksy have superior malware removal capability.

Say what you want about user habits blah blah, the average user will be sooner or later hit by malware even if he or she is cautious. When this happens the antivirus needs to ideally stop the malware from infecting the computer in the first place. If not, then it needs to do its job of removing the malware . If it can’t do that then it defeats the purpose of the antivirus doesn’t it. In my uncle’s case, not only did malware pass the avira guard, it failed to remove it when prompted.

Also reinstalling Windows whenever you have an infection is uneconomical and unrealistic. Knowledgeable users have a whole host of tools including Hijackthis logs, DDS/GMER, and out of system boot tools like UBCD4Win that enable people with a very high degree of certainty to clean out any kind of infection. So yes, it is never too late, even infected system files can be replaced or disinfected, you just need the know how.

yes. you are right too.

as i dont have this knowledge of desinfection, i did everything that i know of to avoid getting infected. i never load something without finding it in reputated places, and always i scan them before i use them (whatever it is). the worst error of many antivirus is, that firefox shows after download a short “scanning animation” in the loading window… but there is no scan happening. this is leading people to think, its clean, and it had been scanned already.

one day i might get an infection, but it must be a very tricky way. and on that day, i will reinstall the operating system. because it would never feel clean, even if the best removal program was at place.

i didnt try to convince you, i just spoke with my point of view. as it worked out well all the time, it is worth to be suggested.
if i think about virus programmers, i get a picture in mind: they try normal antivirus products to see if their virus is detected. and i am sure, they would make little addings, that in case of detection in the future some features will stay after “cleaning”.