Scheduled Virus Scan Takes Too Long

My weekly virus scan running CIS 5.0 started at midnight and is still running some 17 hours later. So far it has scanned a little over 2 million objects but it is making life very difficult trying to do anything else on my Thinkpad T60p with 2GB RAM and a 250GB hard drive.

I changed my scheduled scan so that it didn’t include my external hard drive (2TB) because I thought that might be what was making it run so long.

Am I really the only one experiencing this? Internet searches have not suggested otherwise.

Thanks in advance for all help.

I should add that Comodo is doing all Internet security and is the only realt-time antivirus program running.

A week later and this week’s scan has managed to plough through just 800,000 objects after nearly nine hours.

Now, a new wrinkle. I cannot cancel it! Despite being prompted “Are you sure you want to stop the scanning?” and clicking Yes (several times), the scan just keeps grinding on.

I gave up on the previous week’s scan after about 20 hours but by that point, my system had become almost unusable and I was forced to reboot.

Again, I am the only one experiencing this? Any obvious settings that might be the cause?

Espy

Have you turned off the computer and turned it back on? if you haven’t try turning it off and back on but check if there are updates for your computer because if you need to restart it i would save time because you would have to do it twice.

Is this the same as this Reported Bug?
https://forums.comodo.com/format-verified-issue-reports-cis/comodo-av-stalls-during-scanning-284-t63244.0.html

If so, Comodo need more reports on this to solve this issue.

Some similarities but not quite though the inability to stop the scan symptom is the same. Cloud scanning is not enabled and the scan does not appear to be stalled in that in can be seen that it is working and the object count continues to climb.

Thanks for the response.

When the av stalls during scanning that’s because the Comodo Internet Security Helper Service has crashed. You can manually start the service again. That can be done through Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Services.

When you found the Comodo Internet Security Helper Service select it → click right → Properties → start it. Stay in the Properties dialogue box and select the Recovery tab and set it recover each time it crashes. See attached image.

Please also consider filing a bug report in the Bug Reports - CIS board following the format as described in FORMAT & GUIDE - just COPY/PASTE it!. That would greatly help Comodo solving these type of crashes.

Also follow How to determine which file is causing a manual scan to hang to determine what file was causing the scanner to be hung. Please add this information to your bug report.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Again, my scan is not stalling; just moving very slowly (100,000 objects per hour or so). I have changed a setting to stop scanning of files larger than 200MB rather than 1024MB and will see if that makes any difference on the next scheduled scan. Will definitely explore the bug report option depending on what happens. Will report back here first, no matter what.

Thanks!

Keep us posted.

I have a similar problem… my scheduled scan also takes a long time… and my goodness, sometimes it makes doing anything else on my system a nightmare… applications not responding… taking 5 minutes to do what you asked to be done… It is like a weekly trip back to windows 95…

So we end up pausing the scan to do things because we have to and after that it seems to never finish.

Tonight it is scanning… and I had to pause again to be able to do anything. But once I paused and resumed a couple times everything seems fine now.

This is rather confusing.

Hello Envy;

What do you have your “Do Not Scan Files Larger Than” Set To? and what Version of CIS are you using?

Jake

20 MB

Version 5.0.163652.1142?

OK, this time I cancelled the scan (and it did in fact actually stop) first after letting it run a little over 10 hours having scanned only a little over 600,000 objects (est. 25% done).

I suppose that I should run an manual scan and see how that goes, and collect required information for a bug report? Lemme know.

If I didn’t mention it before, I’m running v5.0.162636.1135

Thanks!

Read what I wrote in the above.

Yup, that’s what I was alluding to…

Mine seemed to have cured itself this last scan after I had to pause it in order to be able to do anything with my system. So I want to assume the scanning well will continue.

I still don’t understand the whole issue I have with applications not responding and stuff during the scan though.

The scan does not appear to tax my system resources or anything.

When the av scanner crashes it will get stuck at one file. This will be visible in the av scanner box. The fact that it gets stuck is enough for a bug report. I would recommend to tell whether you did a manual or scheduled scan just to be conclusive.

Yet again, my scanner is not getting stuck on any object being scanned. It is simply grinding along (~100,000 objects per hour).

Nevertheless, I attempted a manual scan last night (rather than waiting for the next weekly scan) and found that my computer had crashed when I checked this morning. Nothing obvious in Windows Event Viewer and apparently nothing to look at in the CIS logs.

I will attempt another manual scan this evening. Stay tuned.

Hmm, so last night’s manual scan also ended and took the machine with it. After rebooting this morning, I decided to babysit a manual scan and take some screen captures along the way.

Bug/Issue report follows:

1. What you did: Weekly scheduled scans and now manual scans of system drive only

2. What actually happened or you actually saw: Scans run for hours at a rate between 100,000 and 200,000 objects per hour. When they complete, scans take between 15 and 20 hours. Recent experiences, however, show the scans not completing and computer turning off.

3. What you expected to happen or see: Scans to complete within one hour (two max)

4. How you tried to fix it & what happened: Simplified the scan to only scan the system drive, reduced the maximum size of files to be scanned first to 200MB then 20MB.

5. If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes here?: Not applicable

6. Details & exact version of any application (execpt CIS) involved with download link: Huh?

7. Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen: Appears to be reproducible every time

8. Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): Impact to overall system performance during scan is significant and variable. Screenshots during this morning’s ordeal are attached. The last one was only a few minutes prior to the computer spontaneously powering down. I did not observe a BSOD nor is there any indication of a problem in Event Viewer, nor in the CIS logs.

Files appended. (Please zip unless screenshots).

1. Screenshots illustrating the bug: Four screenshots at various points in the 4½ hours or so that the scan ran before the computer stopped. Scan window and Process Explorer displays are depicted.

2. Screenshots of related CIS event logs and the Defense+ Active Processes List: Antivirus Events window empty, active process list screen capture attached

3. A CIS config report or file. Report attached. Note, script stopped with errors at step 5 of 13

4. Crash or freeze dump file: Not applicable

Your set-up

1. CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: Product Version: 5.0.162636.1135, Virus Signature Database Version: 7327 Configuration: Internet Security

2. a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4: No
    b) if so, have you tried a clean reinstall (without losing settings - if not please do)?: Clean install with “fresh” configuration

3. a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS: No
    b) if so, have U tried a standard config (without losing settings - if not please do)?: Started with “standard” configuration

4. Have you made any other major changes to the default config? (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here.): Not aware of any major changes to the configuration

5. Defense+, Sandbox, Firewall & AV security levels: D+=Training, Sandbox=?, Firewall =Training, AV = Stateful

6. OS version, service pack, number of bits, UAC setting, & account type: Windows XP, SP3, number of bits?, UAC not applicable, account type: Administrator

7. Other security and utility software installed: Malwarebytes Antimalware run only as needed, CCleaner run on start-up and as needed.

8. Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box): None

[attachment deleted by admin]

Well, in the hopes of bumping this up following the lack of any response over the last little while, there are two new things worth mentioning.

Firstly, I installed an upgrade to CIS and am now at 5.3.176757.1236. Secondly, the first weekly scan since then, though limited to the system drive only, completed in a little under six hours and didn’t crash my computer. Still a little long for a scan but definitely better.

Any more thoughts and or analysis of previous results?

I too have this same problem. Starts at midnight then by 10am it’s still going. When I try to stop it, same thing happens as other user; it asks me if I am sure, I say yes, but then it keep plowing through. Everything else almost comes to a standstill. It’s hogging all my other programs. I try to kill the process, but it still takes a very long time. Someitmes I have to just power off the computer manuallly in frustration. I now have the automatic scheduled scan cancelled and I will probably not use the scan anymore. Unless this is fixed sometime in the near future, I will switch to another virus protection with a scanner that works and doesn’t take longer than a couple of hours or less.

Anara44, can you check when it happens again if it gets stuck at one particular? If that is the case then the Comodo Internet Security Helper Service has crashed.