Scheduled backup not working, manually works

Well, first I wrote - been there, done that. Still no luck, same error:(. But later I tried again and with full network path as destination and vau, it’s worked.

But I still seriously think, that it’s a bug and we are using workaround. So hopefully next version will fix it and also add adjustable full backup number of versions to keep option.

Hi all,
my 1st post with comodo - had no probs with f/w at all. But with backup, I see that I am not the 1st one.

I installed comodo b/up in my cousin’s LAN PCs, [with winxp sp2 & nov07 hotfixes with sygate F/W and Avast A/V], on 29th Nov 2007 - while manual backup works - scheduled backup doesn’t work.

*All PCs - 4 of them - users are logged in as admin - so no conflict about user rights as such…
(I know it is bad security, but it is a closed network - no internet access/floppy/cdrom access at all)
[all A/V or hotfixes are done manually, by connecting an external cd-rom / usb pen drive - weekly or monthly]

*The PC with comodo backup has comodo backup service set as automatic & is running.

*Manual backup works - and works fine on all media - back up from:

\pc one\d\data to \pc one\e\backup

\pc one\d\data to \pc two\d\backup

\any pc\d\data to \any pc\d\backup

\any pc\d\data to \pc one\g(external cd)

BUT NOTHING WORKS WHEN SCHEDULED…
even when the static IP addresses are specified.

???

Backup set to service backup
comodo service (from start>run>services.msc) is set to auto & is started

windows inbuilt backup runs fine (on scheduled times - which are NOT when comodo is scheduled)
win backups set to run at 8 PM
comodo set to back up at 7 PM

for last 3 days - only manual backups - what I had done between 3 - 5 PM on 29 nov are there -
on comodo b/up

but winXP inbuilt backup has done its job on all 3 days - without problem

I think it has to do with services - which winxp services are set at auto.
Any breakthrough guys?

Hi kmprasad

Welcome to Comodo forum

You have a thought that I have never considered before - windows services. That could account for the number of users of Backup that just cannot get the schedule to work, while others have no problem at all. I am going to post here a shot of my services. You can check them over and see which ones I have running that you do not and then try them to see if it makes a difference. I have no trouble backing up by schedule to my LAN or usb pen drive. It happens everyday.

John

[attachment deleted by admin]

hi John
thanx for the warm welcome and quick work
since it was Zzzzzzz time yesterday (India Time), didn’t do much.
since it is sunday today, no chance of cheking up on the quirky PCs.

But I downloaded, installed and tested CB/up on my personal (this) PC.
CB works beautifully - without any problems.

My doubt about asking about services was whether BITS and Task Scheduler services have any impact on CB - I normally have them disabled. So I tested CB on my PC and their settings have no adverse effect - CB works OK - whether BITS & T/Sched (either one or both) are running are not.

Anyway I’ll checkup on the quirky PCs on monday and repost the results, regarding services.

Is JRE required for CB?
becuz my (this) PC is with JRE, but those quirky PCs are without JRE.
(.NET 2 installed on all PCs)

And for the record here is the services.msc as it is at present on my (this) PC. It is actually a csv file - but since this forum doesn’t allow posting of csv files, I’ve renamed it as txt. Pls rename as csv - I’ve marked with * whereever services differ from yours.

thanx
Maheswar

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hello Maheswar

Thanks for sending your settings. I cannot see anything in there that will cause CB not to work. If you have tested out BITS and T/Sched on another PC and it works fine either way, My guess is that you may have to join the group of users who just cannot get the scheduler to work no matter what they do. I’m not sure why this happens but there are some who have just given up trying to get it to work.

Let us know how things go as you do some more tests. If you do get it working it can possibly help others as well.

John

hi john
& e’body too…

some progress.
1st off i wuz a lil busy to do much about the quirky pcs on LAN (which were NOT C/B’ing).
But today (friday in India) I had the time to spend on them.

Now the diagnostics:

Basically the config of MY PC on which C/B worked was : Winxp/sp2 with Nov hotfixes, cel 1.7Ghz, Intel 845 GLVA, 512MB RAM (DDR1), 3 nos. 40GB Seagate HDD & Sony CD R/W (I forget which)
And the A/V is NOD32, F/W is ofcourse CF3 with AVG A/S, Spybot S&D. .NET 2 & 3 with JRE 1.6.0.3

the quirky PCs on LAN are: Winxp/sp2 with Nov hotfixes, p3 1.5 GHz (a lil unsure…), Intel 845WN (■■■■ sure), 256MB RAM (SDRAM), 1 no. 40 GB seagate HDD. (remember no cd or FDD). And the A/V is Avast 4.7, F/W is Sygate with AVG A/S, Spybot S&D. .NET 1.1 withOUT JRE

So I upgraded JRE 1.6.0.3 & .NET 2, 3, & 3.5 on the quirky PC1. (.NET 3.5 asked for windows installer 3.1). Viola…
C/B started working.

BUT HOLD ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

whenever I did tests (with a dummy folder and a copy of some xls/doc/ or any file), it worked…
but failed to backup when left alone to backup anything, whether 11MB or 77 MB or 1.7 GB.

(I’ve a feeling that this might be becuz I was installing JRE/.NET on other PCs during the backup scheduled times… I know; stupid of me… but we all mess up, don’t we? & it was already 9 PM and I just had to push off … to here :wink: …)

Am travelling over the weekend and hence will explore further next weekdays.
MW can anyone pickup & throw a light on this one?

Basically C/B requires either JRE 1.5/6+ and/or .NET 2/3/3.5
I think (feel - nothing to prove it) C/B needs JRE 1.6 and .NET 3 atleast
???

Basically C/B requires either JRE 1.5/6+ and/or .NET 2/3/3.5 I think (feel - nothing to prove it) C/B needs JRE 1.6 and .NET 3 atleast ???

Interesting… It would be good to get a developers take on this.

John

hi John
to elaborate further:
with .NET1.1 and withOUT JRE (not even 1.4):
scheduled backup didn;t work - even with 1 KB txt file in a test folder.
that is:
\d:\test >> \e:\backups
But manually running backups worked.

But after I installed JRE 1.6 and .NET 2,3, & 3.5:
scheduled backup WORKED - with a test folder (with a xls, doc, txt & mdb test files… abt 1 MB)
that is:
\d:\test >> \e:\backups

BUT then…
scheduled backup DIDNOT work on LAN.
possibly becuz the installers were ON on other PCs.

I had the same problem as you all.
Scheduled network backup didn’t worked. UNTILL…
I have latest version of comodo, JRE and .NET
Still what you have to do is:
In services, Modify comodobackupservice “CmdBkSvc.exe” at “log on” select “This account” and in there type a user name and pass with administrator rights on NETWORK MACHINE not a local user account.
This worked just fine for me. I hope the same for you.
:BNC

Hello gavroche

Welcome to the Comodo Forum

Thanks for posting this fix. Hopefully it will help kmprasad and others that have this problem.

John

Network Machine - You mean remote server? But I don’t have administrator rights on the remote server?

Locked.

Reason: Out-Dated post.

Josh