Sandboxing Your Browser

Before i do something stupid I’d best ask, then I’ll do something stupid. I want to run Firefox sand boxed, i know IE would be a definite yes but Firefox is a different bird. The reason is Buffer Zone, if your not familiar with it it runs applications in a virtual environment. I want to simulate that environment without having to install it. Me thinks with this setting things should be O.k.? What do you think?

Partially Limited - The application is allowed to access all the Operating system files and resources like clipboard. Modification of protected files/registry keys is not allowed. Privileged operations like loading drivers or debugging other applications are also not allowed.

Thanks guys…
turnorburn

O.k. Firefox is sandboxed; lets see how she looks in a weeks time. Actually, if this works the way I’d like it to there would be no need to virtualize many applications, if not then its…

turnorburn

Please see the FAQ here.

Capabilities should be improved with CIS 6

You may lose video sound for some file formats in some browsers currently

I’m thinking I’ll wait until the new build comes out Firefox keeps popping out of the firewall… :o

Thanks…
turnorburn

How about a little more information? If Firefox keeps “popping out of the firewall”, you’ve got something mis-configured.

I’m thinking that’s exactly what I’m not doing, I’ll continue to work on it.

Thanks for any advice…
turnorburn

O.k. I’m finding a couple of reasons for the glitch, some programs require user interface, some programs will run until the firewall deems them safe, then spits them out for good. Now if i want to run it permanently in the box then it would stick but i don’t want that. I’m beginning to think running my browser in an environment like Geswall is a better bet… :wink:

I still don’t have any idea what you’re trying to say…

Could you please post specifics about this ‘glitch’? What exactly is happening, and what exactly are you trying to do?

I was trying to run Firefox from the sandbox feature, it didn’t work so I’ve decided to go with Geswall, after trial and error I’ve come to the conclusion a browser wasn’t meant to run inside of a firewall, not with any degree of satisfaction anyway, it was just an experiment that taught me a lesson… :wink:

Thanks…
turnorburn

Firefox runs in the sandbox. What didn’t work for you?

I’m also not sure what you mean by, “a browser wasn’t meant to run inside of a firewall”… Browsers are indeed meant to run inside a firewall.

Hi HeffeD, its probably my old XP machine that caused the conflict but its a mute point now I’ve moved on, maybe this will inspire someone else to try it… :-TU

Thanks…
turnorburn

Hi HeffeD I’m back in the sandbox again, this time I’m thinking it will stick… :-TU

Thanks…
turnorburn

I couldn’t stand it beating me… :wink:

Weird not seeing any ads… :o

turnorburn

Hi guys i apologize for the earlier failure to communicate on my part. From the first day i began to use a computer i learned everything flying by the seat of my pants in short i don’t read the instructions. I stumbled upon the way to mount my browser into the firewall and finally saw first hand what its like. Having said that I’m about to go from the firewall over into Buffer Zone, then try it again when the new version 6.0 comes out. For some reason i lost my bookmarks while inside that firewall… All in all these experiments are an attempt at finding a way to thoroughly secure a machine with the least amount of effort on the users part.

Thanks…
turnorburn

Sorry if i offended anyone…