Sandbox won't reset

Hi all,

After a month of using the latest version of CIS, today I ran into this problem: when I try to reset the Sandbox it gets stuck. Basically, it just keeps trying to reset it forever and goes nowhere; if I look within CIS’ Task Manager it shows the Reset Sandbox task status as “Starting”, even if it has been running for an hour. This happens every time a sandbox reset is attempted, even after rebooting and even after complete uninstallation & reinstallation of CIS.

I found these two older threads relating to my problem:
https://forums.comodo.com/defense-sandbox-help-cis/reset-sandbox-isnt-continuing-from-starting-t91276.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/defense-sandbox-help-cis-b136.0/-t92588.0.html

It seems this issue has been reported as a bug already by the above two thread starters. However my issue seems different in the sense that even a reinstallation does not help. Does anyone have any ideas? How can I figure out what causes this problem? Thanks.

Edit: to add some details, I’m using Windows 8.1
When I uninstalled CIS I simply used the “remove programs” feature by Windows… Is there a specific clean-up program I should use to remove Comodo files with? And until I figure out how to fix the issue, is there a “manual” way to reset the sandbox so that I could keep using my browsers sandboxed?

Edit 2: These keep appearing in my Event Viewer (under ‘Security’ category) and I’m wondering if there’s a connection:

"Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\guard64.dll"

The bug which was previously reported is now fixed.

Please try reinstalling CIS by following the advice I give in this post:

Be sure to run the removal tool which I explained works well with Windows 8.1.

Using the removal tool, and following the rest of the advice, will like be able to get this working correctly for you. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I followed your advice: skipping the first two programs (because I have a 64 system, and Windows 8.1), uninstalled CIS using the Windows remove programs feature and then rebooted to safe mode to use the CIS Removal Tool.

After reinstalling CIS, however, I’m still faced with the same issue. Sandbox will not reset.

Until the problem is fixed you might want to try Sandboxie. Comodo will fix the issue eventually though. :slight_smile:

See if deleting fvstore.dat in the system32\drivers\ folder helps or not.

Thanks, I started using this as an alternative.

Thanks for the tip. However, it didn’t help. The problem still persists.

EricJH, do you think it’s possible that this entry in my event logs might have something to do with the issue?

""Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\guard64.dll"

Someone told me it could be a compatibility issue between CIS and Windows 8’s own security program, but I was under the impression that CIS was supposed to be Win 8 compatible.

The code integrity warning is not related. It shows up on everybody’s machine.