rid my computer of intruders

Hi,
I am new to this forum, and I found you by googling "computer help’.
I apologize if this gets too long. I will try to be as brief as possible, while still including information I think you may need to help me.
This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time now, and it seems to only get worse.
I have tried many different help sites to cure my problem, but to no avail.
I tried “bleeping computer”, and although they were very helpful, and did a Hijack this thing, and gave me numerous other tips to solve my problem, none of it helped either. They finally told me , my only recourse was to format my hard drive in order to solve my problem.
I did a system recovery, but the problem was still there after i did that also.
I truly believe the main problem, is my ignorance when it comes to computers.
I am borderline computer literate.
But, I do however know what is going on to a degree with my particular computer, or at least I am fairly certain this is what it is.
It has to do with disgruntled ex relitives wanting to know my business, and they have somehow made themselves more or less the owner of my computer, to the extent of me not being able to do anything. They changed all my files to extensions I am unable to open.
I have no idea how they are doing this, and that is why I am asking for help.
I have a feeling they may have made themselves Operating Manager of it?? like I said, I just do not know.
They had physical access to my computer at one time, when i had to leave my house to have it fumigated, and they had access to my house.
I have thought it may be some sort of key stroke software they installed, but again, I just do not know. ]
All I do know, is I sure would like to be rid of them.
I read with interest the thread on rootkits, which scared me, and I am next to fearless. But if that is the case, then I may be shopping for a new computer??
I do not know what information you will need in order to help me, so I will give you the basics, and then you can tell me what you need.

HP model a6230n
Windows Vista home premium
AMD Athlon™ 64x2 dual Core processor 5600+ 2.80GHz
2942 MB RAM
32 bit operating system

Any thing you can help me with would be very much appreciated/
thank you
marlene

I suppose it’s possible that there is malware running on your computer. I would recommend running a scan with whatever AV you use. First check to make sure that no files are excluded from being scanned.

If this doesn’t work you can follow this guide:
What You Need To Know About Removing Infections and Securing Your Computer

I would also do a scan with GMER, which should be able to identify rootkits:
http://www.gmer.net/
Do not remove anything with this program. If it finds any suspicious activity then paste it to the forum.

If none of these scans pick up any malware then it is unlikely that that is your problem.

You will never believe what has happened. The day i posted this thread I was so desperate to find anyone who would help me rid myself of these relitives who have been stalking me for over a year, that I was sending emails, and putting threads in forums all over the place.
One of the emails I sent was to the CEO of HP. I explained to him that I understood the reasons for having such a program as Operations Manager, and was sure it was used by many business’s and was a useful tool to them. But because of it, i explained how these relatives had taken control of my computer. Well this is the email I sent:

This is a message to HP’s CEO, from a valued customer: marlene jesson.

Customer’s Phone:
Customer’s E-Mail: marrrlee@aol.com
Feedback Area:

• Product experience
    I realize that your service of Operation Manager, is a valuable tool to business

's and I’m sure used by many.

However, with my limited knowledge of the process’s of computers, it left me vulnerable

to someone making themselves Operation Manager on my computer.

This computer no longer belongs to me, even though I am the one who paid for it.

Disgruntled relitives have taken full control of it. Why?

To find out information.

And also to laugh at my ignorance in not being able to rid myself of them.

I performed a system recovery, and lost all of my pictures and data, important documents, everything,

only to find it did no good, they were still there when it was done.

I cried. I only did the system recovery as a desperate last result to rid myself of them, and to find them still there, i could never begin to express the anger, and frustration I felt.

I still do not know how to rid myself of them.

thank you for listening to my sad tale of woe, I realize you will not help me, but I feel better just telling you about it.

Marlene Jesson

This message was sent on: 12/12/2009 at 14:28:7 GMT

marlene jesson also added this personal information:
Company:

and this is the answer I received:

Thank you for writing to HP with your feedback. We value your opinion, and we’re grateful that you took the time to share your thoughts with HP. We will be documenting your comments which will be reviewed by HP management.

If there is more you’d like to add, or if there is an unresolved issue, do not hesitate to call the HP Executive Customer Relations office at 800-756-0608, option 7, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

CEO Customer Relations

But the good part is, it must have been HP who did it, but when I turned on my computer this morning, they were gone. not in my registry or anywhere, I am so elated to finally have my computer back.

That’s great.

I had not realized that when you said that someone had made themselves “Operating Manager” that you meant that this was accomplished through a legitimate program on your computer.

That makes much more sense. If the problem returns in any fashion please feel free to repost.