Result of Email Encryption poll

I ran two polls

How Many Percent of your emails would you like to make public

How many percent of your emails would you like to encrypt

Now… we had interesting results…

First of all, huge majority don’t want to make their emails public, yet this very huge majority does not encrypt their emails!
This clearly shows that there is a misunderstanding that “Email today is private”…

Well, a bit of news for you, every email you send unencrypted is like a postcard you send, everything you write on it can be viewed by people who deliver it! And thats a lot of people on internet!

The only way you can be safe and secure that only the receiver can read it and noone else is by encrypting it! Otherwise, its as good as making it public!

Melih

Can you please elaborate a little: for example, we have a box on some free provider (GMail). Who else except them can read letter? Is it mail provider on the other end (where we sent letter)? What are others who can access correspondence?..

Your email travels thru numerous servers, including your ISP. Unless its encrypted anyone who has access to those points can read your email

Melih

thank you, now I got it :slight_smile:

@Melih: But you must agree that the risk of having one’s mail read by someone else is quite low.

Most computer-literate people like those in this forum don’t need much convincing – but how many of your non-tech mail recipients are ready to use (grapple with) encryption and enter a passphrase to read a message?
It could only work if made transparent to the average user (e.g. using a key file stored on a USB stick, etc.).
But I fully agree, everyone should encrypt their mails. And store their message bases on an encrypted volume. I only do the latter on my travel laptop, but I work mostly from home.

on what basis do you make this statement?
any data to back it up?
heard of echelon project?

Melih

Anybody thinking their mails (or, for that matter, their browsing, their phone conversations and any other electronic communications) are private should read up a bit on the subject. I don’t want to list a lot of URLs here, just google for this search string:
e-mails patriot act echelon privacy 2008
and take your pick…

In my country, ISPs must save all communication passing through them for FOUR years.

Just an anecdote: PGP used to be considered ‘ammunition’ in the US (I don’t know if it still is today). The PGP source code was printed out and transferred legally to Europe about 7-8 years ago, scanned, complied, and made available for free in the form of the so-called Cyber-Knights Templar (ckt) version I am still using to this day. The maintainer of that version was Imad R. Faiad. He is said to never have been the mountain-climbing type. He disappeared around 2004 (?), and was later found dead on a mountain. At the time I remember being able to find a (very) few sites writing about this. I checked now, none found any more with Google.

R.I.P. Imad. He was brilliant!