restricting mirc access help

Hi,

I was trying to restric mirc access to an ip range but for some reason I can’t do it.Here’s what I have done. I went to application monitor left clicked on mirc.exe and clicked on edit. tcp/udp allow destination ip for example : 203.202.226.0-203.202.227.255 and clicked ok.

when I start mirc comodo asks me if I want mirc to act as a server…if I click no it wont let me connect if I click yes it connects to ips other than the ip range I want mirc to connect to.

what am I doing wrong ?

thanks

If I get you correct, you want to restric irc to use only a designated set of ports or IP addresses? In this case, DESTINATION points to the IP range you want comodo to point to and I doubt you have that kind of range on one computer. Remember, destination is your own ip address. I think you need to enter that range under sources. I think you might have to set network monitor rules likewise for it to take effect. Not 100% sure on that one. ::slight_smile:

I want to restric mirc to use/connect to only the irc servers I want it to, say 2 o3 servers or more on the mindforge.org network.The mindforge network range should be 213.202.226.0-213-202.227.255 or something like that.

I noticed my mirc was trying to connect to a funny site that had nothing to do with mirc so so I got worried.

I am using acidmax mirc.

I don’t use irc that much and when or if I do, I run it on my Linux machine. However, from what I know about Comodo, you can only set those rules/policies in network monitor. Read this thread for moore information https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1125.0.html

I had a look at that thread but I am none the wiser.I dunno where I stuff up

Hi, arsenic!

Did you pay attention to the remote port mIRC is trying to connect to whenever it wants to go to a new address?
For chat, the only rule you need is:
mIRC Chat: Protocol TCP, Outgoing, Remote address range, Remote Port 6667, Allow

If you want to engage in file sharing you will need more, but I would urge you not to do that. It is all too easy for malicious individuals to distribute viruses or trojans through mIRC.

Also I suggest you check your host file, just in case. It is located in Windows - System32 - Drivers - Etc. - hosts. You can open it with Notepad. The last address should be 127.0.0.1 (localhost). If this is not the case, please, post the contents of that file here.

Paul Wynant
Moscow, Russia

Did you pay attention to the remote port mIRC is trying to connect to whenever it wants to go to a new address?
For chat, the only rule you need is:
mIRC Chat: Protocol TCP, Outgoing, Remote address range, Remote Port 6667, Allow

ok will try that…