Resource monster

CIS has a performance problem. Read the topic’s and look how many of them concern this issue.
However, these topic’s frequently drown in uninteresting smalltalk between the multicore spammers, telling that they have no problem with their new pc’s. Therefore, multicore spammers, please do not reply to this topic unless you have something usefull to tell.
I have now used CIS for app. 6 month, and used a lot of time trying to make it behave acceptable.
The firewall is super, the detection rate is super, but the resource requirements are not acceptable.
I will give some examples:
Boot time now 5 minutes (yes, seriously), with Avast approximately 90 seconds.
Open add/remove programs now 90 seconds, with Avast 12 seconds.
Open mkvmerge.exe now 25 seconds, with Avast 5 seconds.
There is no reason to ask me to alter some settings, because almost all settings have been tried.
Only 1 setup work… Disable AV & D+…The firewall is not resource hungry.
I can’t point out a single function that does it, but I have made some observations.
The first time you open an application after boot or vir-def update, it take ages, and cmdagent.exe grabs every bit of processor power. Second time, the time is halved but still unacceptable long. The first time,the AV is responsible, second time the D+.
Also I often experience the cmdagent.exe suddently fully occupying my processor for a minute or two, making the pc useless in this time. I have no idea what is going on, nothing written in the log’s.
I am pretty sure that when the Avast 6 is launched, Avast will find the way back to my computer, a petty, CSI is otherwise a marvellous program.
P4-3Ghz/2GB/WinXpSp3

[attachment deleted by admin]

i have a laptop with dual core P7350, 4gb ram and w7 x64 (a classic and not overpowered config) i do a complete restart in 98 sec. CIS use around 150mb of memory.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/72 … -time.html

(54sec of the 98 is due to CIS)

maybe something made a conflict with CIS (or vice-versa^^)

edit: i didnt pay attention at your config at 1st sight. but a boot of 5mn, is extremly long… did u check what services and applications start ?

Hey and warm welcome to comodo forums Nuser

Add the avast folder here: CIS —> Defense+ —> Defense+ Settings —> Execution control Settings —> Detect shellcode injections (i.e. Buffer overflow protection) —> Exclusions —> Add —> Browse…

Regards,
Valentin N

I think what you are failing to realize is that what you are seeing isn’t typical. Even with a multi-core processor, if someone was experiencing what you are, one of their cores would be maxed and would indeed affect performance.

I would suggest that you make a bug report following the format in this thread. The only way anything could possibly be done to remedy your specific situation is if you let the developers know more details about your system…

This is also not typical, except for possibly during a virus database update, and that should be extremely temporary.

CIS averages 10-15MB on my system.

The problems is that he as two AV with realtime protection on at the same time and CIS protecting itself from avast (that we will see if he makes a screenshot of d+ logs (CIS → defense+ → View defense+ events)).

Regards,
Valentin N

I don’t think so…

Why would he say that Avast would find the way back onto his computer if he currently has it installed?

My Windows 7 64 bit desktop with CIS and CTM on it takes about 1 minute 53 seconds to boot up all the way. But I am also running WinPatrol the latest version and a Wallpaper changer program and Rainlendar Lite witch is a on screen reminder program. And none of my quad cores ever max out. As I’ve stated during a AV scan one of my CPU cores reaches between 50 and 60 percent. But never maxes out. And I have everything CIS has to offer except GeekBuddy on my system. My wife has a duel core laptop with everything I have on my boot up but she is running Vista 64 bit and of course with Vista it takes about 3 minutes to 3 and a half minutes to boot up. But even with her duel core with a scan running her CPU doesn’t go beyond 70 percent and never maxes out the CPU.

hey umbrapolaris, could you point to the link again which tells what process is taking what time? The link above is taking me to the home page.

Thanks,
Harsha.

You can download Soluto – Anti-Frustration Software, which will monitor your boot and tell you exactly how much time each application takes to load. The first boot after installing Soluto tends to be slower than normal, so you’ll likely want to boot several times. Soluto keeps a history of your boots so you can keep track of your average.

Incredible… Only two multicore spammers telling about their pc’s.
The others, thank you for reply’s.
And no, Avast is not installed, and every trace of it has been removed.
Windows firewall is disabled.
The only other protection program I use is Threatfire behaviour shield (no AV).
This should be ok according to Comodo experts.
Besides, it makes no difference if Treatfire is enabled or disabled.
Best regards
Nuser

add Threat fire in exclusion and see if that helps.

Regards,
Valentin N

Thanks HeffeD for the link. I would definitely try this software.

Regards,
Harsha.

What AV programs did you have before?

Regards,
Valentin N

@Valentin N
Threatfire can be switched on/off. Makes no diff.
Also, I installed Threatfire months after CIS. It made no diff.
Before CIS I used Avast 4.8 together with Windows defender.
Best regards
Nuser

Since I haven’t understood what CIS you use I would like to know if Windows defender is on and if it is turn it off (if you have given the info about Window defender ignore this post)

Regards,
Valentin N

@Valentin N
As I wrote, everything is removed except Threatfire.
CIS version is 5.3.1xxxxxxxxx

And you have added threatfire in exclusions (CIS —> Defense+ —> Defense+ Settings —> Execution control Settings —> Detect shellcode injections (i.e. Buffer overflow protection) —> Exclusions —> Add —> Browse…)?

Since I am a bit lazy of looking you can do type in start services.msc and the go and find windows firewall and windows defender.

Do you have other software that you might think is related to the high cpu usage?

Regards,
Valentin N

@Valentin N
Yes, Threatfire is excluded.
Other software??? The pc works perfect when I disable AV and D+.
Here is a typical scene when I open add/remove programs. It is absurd…Takes 90 seconds.
No entries in

the D+ log afterwards.

[attachment deleted by admin]

how would it be if threatfire is uninstalled? Try and tell me. I can tell you that CIS will protect even without threatfire.

Could you give me a screenshot of your defens+ logs (CIS → d+ → view d+ events). Thanks

Regards,
Valentin N