Repeated messages "...about to create a new file/folder"

Hello,

I recently started using CIS and really like it.

The one issue I have is that, when I print to PDF from Word/Excel/Firefox, I get the (firewall) message that Word/Excel/Firefox “is about to create a new file/folder C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS\00001.SPL”. The 00001 increases by one digit with each new page printed).

I can see that the PDF printer seems to work by having the application create some kind of temporary file as part of the printing process. Each time it happens I allow it, but I guess (perhaps) because the file increases by one digit each time, I get asked a fresh question every time.

I suppose I could give those applications installation privileges, but for obvious reasons I don’t want to do that.

Is there any way that I can adjust the settings so that those files can be created as and when needed?

Sure. Go to Defense + > Advanced > Computer Security Policy > find Word/Excel/Firefox in the list > doubleclick on them

Then go to Access Rights > Protected Files/Folders > add C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS*.SPL as allowed there.

That’s one way to solve this problem.

Hi Lysias

Great - seems to be working fine.

Thanks.

No problem, glad to be of assistance!