Remote Desktop Connection [local network]

I’ve tried bunch of configurations, somehow I’m unable to get this right…Same goes for my apache server. Can’t reach from outside and local when firewall is enabled…

Can I beg for someone to send me their configuration file? I am tired of trying different settings and none of them working…
or can you please screenshot everything that needs to be done. I searched through the forums, but couldn’t get it to work :frowning:

Windows 10 x64, latest build, latest CIS etc…

TIA!

Hi XtremeMaC,

If I have interpreted your post correctly, you are unable to get two things working;

1. Access to your Apache server from outside of your LAN

and

1. Remote access to other desktops within your LAN

NOTE : I have made three assumptions here - the systems on your LAN are all Windows systems, they are all running CIS and you are referring to Windows Remote Desktop.

Access to your Apache server from outside of your LAN

To achieve this you need to have two things in place - 1) a port forwarding rule on your router to pass port 80 and port 443 traffic to the IP address of the Apache server on your interior and 2) a Global Rule in the firewall to allow inbound unsolicited traffic to port 80 and to port 443 on the machine running the Apache server.

The port forwarding rule is needed to allow traffic from outside your network to get past the router. In a nutshell, the port forwarding rule tells the router where to send the inbound traffic that meets the port forwarding rule.

The Global Rule in the firewall is needed so that CIS knows which unsolicited traffic to allow in.

NOTE : The Global Rule needs to above any BLOCK rules you may have in the Global Rule list.

Remote access to other desktops within your LAN

This is similar in nature to point 2 in the Apache issue above. Each PC you want to remotely connect to must have a global rule to allow the unsolicited traffic in.

By default, the Windows Remote Desktop server listens on TCP port 3389 and UDP port 3389.

Basically you need to define a Global Rule that allows inbound TCP and UDP traffic on port 3389 and make sure this ALLOW rule is above any BLOCK rules in the Global Rule list.

Providing concrete examples of what to do is almost impossible as there are too many variables;

Do your systems have static IP addresses or are they assigned by DHCP?
If they are assigned by DHCP it will be difficult, if not impossible, to create the port forwarding rule with any degree of certainty.
Do you want to remotely connect to other systems in your LAN from just one system or from any system?
What is your private IP range currently used?
What brand/model of router do you own?
Have you defined a Network Zone in CIS for your home network?

There are undoubtedly others, but hopefully you will understand why it is difficult to provide step-by-step instructions without reasonably full knowledge of your environment and your intentions.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile: