registry cleaners.

just out of curiousity what free standalone registry cleaners do members recommend?
Now as a rule i dont use them as i dont feel i need one at the moment.
But just hypothetically which ones would forum members use.
Ive only seen two which seem sort of ok and those are auslogics and eusing.
Any ideas please. O0
:THNK :comodorocks:

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and Auslogics Registry Cleaner. Both of them are free, find a lot while still being safe and are relative complimentary to each other.

One of Languy’s videos pointed me to the Auslogics cleaner. I was already using Eusing’s.

Another nice one is in the free version of Glary Utilities.

personally i dont trust these programs.
the only i havent had problems with is ccleaner.

Registry cleaners should be used only when there is a big mess in the registry and computer is running very slowly. Otherwise, cleaning can result in system damage. My personal favorite is Glary Utilities.

yes i agree with you.it never ceases to amaze me how many varying figures these products find.
i tested 4 at once and the figures ranged from a dozen to several hundreds.So who on earth do you believe.?
Finding more entries doesnt mean finding the correct and safe ones.
Yes ive tried glary utilities myself and seemed to do a fair job until it stopped the Comodo updater module from working so it was un-installed.
It really is pot luck with these cleaners.

regards.

Edit by EricJH: fixed quote

I must say other than CSC; I use Auslogic’s Registry Cleaner;

It’s the matter of WHY you are using a registry cleaner;

Jake

e.g., for uninstalling CIS when it doesn’t want to after hanging if you want to customize it or if changing of version?

At least under XP (32 bits), Regseeker works nice for that.

Registry cleaners shouldn’t be used at all if applications (including various Microsoft OS) were correctly programmed, but if assuming they are not, i fail in the attribution of any medals, no one is from my experience able to achieve a “full job”, alltogether by excess and default.

If speaking of the general use of registry cleaners (and probably none as far as as i am concerned if CIS was correctly written), it is obvious that such applications are aimed at people installing “new” softwares everyday or so.

But, of course, these applications would not have to exist if some real-time installation monitor did his job, and i personnally didn’t have this privilege since Quaterdeck Cleansweep (R.I.P.)

Just some thoughts on registry cleaners.

I think registry cleaners were probably a necessity back in the Windows 9x days. It is said that in those versions Windows would load the complete registry in RAM. Cleaning the registry would then reduce memory load and could, I guess, therefor increase performance.

With contemporary WIndows version Windows only loads the necessary registry keys in RAM reducing the load on RAM of course. Add to that the “humongo” default amounts of RAM contemporary systems come with and it makes sense that registry cleaners do nothing for performance. There are tests that showed no difference in performance between systems with a cleaned and non cleaned registry.

Cleaning registry can in certain scenarios make booting quicker. During boot Windows may wait for 30s for certain modules to respond. A start key pointing to a no longer existing file may trigger this 30s wait.

The point seems to me to delete unwanted registry keys not in terms of performance, but in order to be able to properly uninstall and reinstall some softwares if their routines are badly written, or eventually to clean some malware, adware…, writings.

Cleaning registry can in certain scenarios make booting quicker. During boot Windows may wait for 30s for certain modules to respond. A start key pointing to a no longer existing file may trigger this 30s wait.

I don’ t see any point in boting in 24 seconds rather than in 30: no one is in such a hurry, and the 6 lost seconds are an appreciable opportunity for one to think about what he is going to write instead of writing in short message “language”.

Also note, of course, that registry cleaning is not always enough by itself to disable unwanted services slowing Windows system operation, and highlighting the fact that it is perfectly not acceptable that one should use to achieve this goal only paid software (e.g. full XP lite).

They surely can do a job there. Not that CIS users catch malware by the dozen of course… :smiley:

I don' t see any point in boting in 24 seconds rather than in 30: no one is in such a hurry, and the 6 lost seconds are an appreciable opportunity for one to think about what he is going to write instead of writing in short message "language".
That's not the scenario I was talking about. I have seen Windows boot wait for 30s because xyz did not respond within 30,000ms. That's still 30 useless seconds.

I

Registries are constantly changing from general use, program updates, windows updates and new programs installed etc. How can any non monitoring reg cleaners keep up and no whats good and bad. My registry cleaning is manual cleaning, searching for key words if I uninstall something and think it has left some remains behind with caution of course. Kind regards

Honestly, from what I’ve seen, and read, with the newer operating systems I would advise a registry cleaner be used only if a problem is noted.

If everything seems fine then I’d shy away from using registry cleaners. It appears they can often do more harm than good.

Languy suggested Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, and it does seem safe.
They also make a registry defragmenter.

I am happy with the mentioned Eusing and Auslogics cleaners. Haven’t had a serious problem with them.

The only problem I had with Eusing was several years ago. It would show up two keys related to the Windows Vista indexer. Removing them would make Vista reindex. I added the keys to the exceptions. Later they fixed it.

Use What registry cleaner you want then use Puran Defrag to completely defrag your HD including Registry :slight_smile:

Jake

+1
CCleaner is another soft (and safe) registry cleaner.

Wise Registry Cleaner is too aggressive.
Also Glary Utilities imho.

Fully agree.

The best would be, imho, use AutoRuns to check if any file is missing.

Autoruns is what I would use for this. But it is a scenario that can also be handled by a registry cleaner.