Recovery Process failled with code 84

1. I tray to back up 1 file from *.cbu. Program write “Recovery Process failled with code 84”. What it mean?

2. How unpack *.cbu if Comodo Backup can`t do it.

WinXP prof SP3 Rus. CBU: 2.1.117500.10.

Hi

Please try to verify the backup in “restore step 2”, by pressing “Verify”.
The error code above usually comes when a split file is not valid. I assume you chose to split the backup.

Thanks

Yes, I split the backup. I try to verify: Yes, file is damage. But I don`t understand why ? My HDD has no errors. It looks like CBU made bad backup. Is it possible ? How repair them ?

I find my file in volumes main2_345.cbu, main2_346.cbu. How extract it ?

Hi

Please make sure that all splits are in the same folder when restoring.

All 401 splits are in folder, from main2.cbu to main2_401.cbu

up

Hi

The error code 84 suggest that of the splits is invalid.
There could be two reasons for this:

1. One of the splits has a size of less than 64 Kilobytes,
  2. One of the splits has the first 32 bytes damaged or it was replaced with an invalid file

How did you determine that your file is in volumes main2_345.cbu, main2_346.cbu. ?

Thanks

1. No, minimum size - 61 079 040 bytes it`s last file (main2_401.cbu).
    Volume size is 209 715 200 bytes. But main2_277.cbu has 68 419 584 bytes, it look strange. Modify date is diffrent: 01.03.2010 for first files 277 files, and 27.02.2010 for other files.
  2. No. I don`t modify files.
How did you determine that your file is in volumes main2_345.cbu, main2_346.cbu. ?
Use search in files, i know text string in file, start Far, copy this string and begin search. I find this string in main2_345.cbu (i don`t use compress or encrypt), press F3, some bytes before i find name of my file, i go down and see the name of next file in this folder (in main2_346.cbu).

Maybe i copy that files to another folder, erase first 32byte in main2_346.cbu, glue 2 files, copy information from name of my file to name of next file ? It`s can works ?

Hi

This might be the cause the error.
Please verify if main2_277.cbu has the first 32 bytes different than the other splits.
If yes… it might be a backup of something else. Try to open it with CBU.exe directly.

If you want to use “raw” method for recovering the file you must copy the splits to another folder, erase the first 64 kilobytes from each split…then “glue” the files.
Determine where the content of the file starts and where it ends. Bytes that are not within the file content must be erased too.
How big is the file you are trying to recover?
If it has a few Megabytes, then you must delete 8 bytes of additional data that is stored for other purposes with every few MB of backed-up data.

Thanks

This might be the cause the error. Please verify if main2_277.cbu has the first 32 bytes different than the other splits. If yes... it might be a backup of something else.

I try to compare files but it is hard. Look attached image.
Looks like files
main2.cbu original head
main2_2.cbu-main2_277.cbu first kind head
main2_278.cbu-main2_401.cbu second kind head

Try to open it with CBU.exe directly.
What you mean ? run CBU -> recovery -> select main2_277.cbu. Program say: "please select first split".
If you want to use "raw" method for recovering the file you must copy the splits to another folder, erase the first 64 kilobytes from each split...then "glue" the files. Determine where the content of the file starts and where it ends. Bytes that are not within the file content must be erased too.

Split format is:
| head | 0…65535 bytes
| content | 65536…to end of file (209 715 199)

I must:

1. copy files
  2. erase head part of two splits.
  3. glue content part of two splits (make “big” file)
  4. find my file in big file
  5. erase parts:
    from begin of “big” file to begin of my file.
    from end of my file to end of “big” file.
How big is the file you are trying to recover? If it has a few Megabytes, then you must delete 8 bytes of additional data that is stored for other purposes with every few MB of backed-up data.
~ 60-170mb.
  1. find and delete “markers”.

what kind of “markers” is it ? are they eqal or different (may be it regular expression) ? what size are they in bytes ? how much “every few MB” in bytes ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Since you don’t have compression or encryption, it is every 16777224 bytes.
The marker is 0800000100000000 (constant hex value), this must be erased.

It looks like the other splits come from a different backup, because the first 32 bytes are not the same.

Thanks

Now I have understood why your status is “Comodo’s Hero”, you are real hero!
I have restored a file, thanks for the help.