Recover process failed with code 14

I´m trying to restore a backup file, but after the process starts and some files are restored, it ends with the message “Recover process failed with code 14”.

When I try to verify backup file, it says the file is corrupted.

Did I lost my backup?!

Hi

Did you set a split size for the backup file(s)?
This error usually occurs when the backup files are altered.
Please follow these steps to help us determine the cause of the problem:

1. Go to Windows → Run type "cmd.exe’ and hit Enter
  2. In cmd.exe window type “C:\Program Files (x86)\Comodo\Comodo BackUp\CBU.exe /enabledebug”
  3. Restart CBU.exe
  4. Repeat the verify process
  5. Repeat the restore process
  6. In cmd.exe window type “C:\Program Files (x86)\Comodo\Comodo BackUp\CBU.exe /dumpdebugcontent”
  7. Collect the “Debug.cbu” file located in the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Comodo\Comodo BackUp” folder and post it here for analysis.

Thanks

Sorry for the delay… :-\

Yes, I set a split size and saved the backup files to hard disk, after that I copied the files to another computer and restored my laptop to factory defaults. In both computers occurs the same error. Laptop runs Windows 7 Home Basic :frowning: , the other desktop runs Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi

The analysis show 2 problems:

• after approximately 27 seconds, the restore/verify operation fails because data is not in expected format
  • Split number 4 is missing

Did you rename the split files after they were created?
Interchanging split file names can cause these errors.

Thanks

Hi

There are 3 files only: Laptop (4.096.000KB), Laptop_2 (4.096.000KB), Laptop_3 (2.523.787KB) and I didn´t rename the files.
The backup process did not create a Laptop_4 file.

Thanks

I have also received a “Recover process failed with code 14” error and image verify reports the backup is corrutped, it was fine a few weeks ago. The only thing I have done is I moved the backup file from the external hard drive to my desktop so I could re-format the external drive and then I moved the backup file back to the external drive. I have included the debug file and hopefully this can be fixed. This is the second time Comodo Backup has failed me, I have pictures and videos of family, and music, that may not be recovered, unacceptable.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi

The problem is caused by a decompression error.
Backups performed with 2.2 version and earlier do not have an indexation area, so if a few bytes in a large backup file get corrupted, data stored after those bytes usually cannot be recovered.
Backups performed with 3.0 version have an indexation area, usually stored at the end of the backup file. So in case somehow backup gets corrupted, it can be mounted as virtual drive (it uses this indexation zone) and user can recover most of the files . 3.0 version is in BETA stage now.
It could be that the backup file got corrupted during the transfer from external hard drive to desktop or reverse. You can try to see if this issue reproduces by using a checksum calculator (hashcalc) for files and try to move a large file from external hard drive to desktop and reverse.
How big is the backup file and at what percentage does the error occur? Maybe it can be uploaded somewhere for analysis.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I will try to recreate the error. I’m not sure what percentage if fails at but the backup file is pretty huge, 60GB. If you’re able to analyze it I will try to upload it somewhere. Should I wait till verision 3.0 is released and try to recover more files? Thanks.

Your backup was created with 2.2 version, so using 3.0 version will not help.
If you can upload it somewhere, maybe we can help recovering as many files as possible while analyzing.

Thanks

I think Comodo makes great software, I use Internet Security and System Cleaner but why wasn’t this issue resolved or thought of sooner? Do you have any suggestions on where I could upload the backup file for analysis? I assume I’ll need to split it up into several segments.